Author Topic: Crow on a Budget  (Read 4182 times)

Pinhead22

• Reverse-Engineer-er
    • View Profile
Crow on a Budget
« on: July 15, 2011, 08:47:16 PM »
I wish I had some pictures, but I'm working on a Crow that uses almost none of the original parts but I'm still trying to keep accurate. I'm using the wrong parts because A. I don't like spending a lot of money unless if needed B. In case if anyone else wants to make a budget Crow I'll have a formula C. His parts are fairly rare, but I may pick up a set of pins from Toys R Us.

When it comes to parts these are the examples: Instead of a soap holder I have half of a kids viewfinder thing I got from Goodwill, I dunno what pins I have I just know they're plastic (From ebay, they were kinda pricey but were the priciest part for sure), and instead of a hockey mask bit I have half of a modified kitty litter scooper (Dollar Store, you couldn't give it to me if it were used).

I'm not expecting an entirely accurate result but hopefully something close, though should I go for a KTMA replica or a regular Crow? I hardly see any KTMA Crows.

This project has tested my patience with all the cutting I've had to do with the pins to get a good mouth, the worst part was when a shard of plastic flicked into my eye, I recovered though.

I've already finished a my own puppet which was mean to be a budget Crow, but somewhere I decided to just do my own thing. 

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Crow on a Budget
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
No harm in making the bots "your own."  If you're ultimately satisfied with the results, that's all the matters.

The Yahoo group's files area is full of people who decided to try out their own designs.

Pinhead22

• Reverse-Engineer-er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
No harm in making the bots "your own."  If you're ultimately satisfied with the results, that's all the matters.

The Yahoo group's files area is full of people who decided to try out their own designs.
  The only thing I'm not satisfied with right now is the kitty litter head piece, I had to cut a little bit of it but some sanding down should fix it.

Looks like someone beat me to the viewmaster eye piece, but not the kitty scooper!

I'll probably have to give this one a codename like PHC-1, short for "Pinhead Crow 1".

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »

The only thing I'm not satisfied with right now is the kitty litter head piece, I had to cut a little bit of it but some sanding down should fix it.

Looks like someone beat me to the viewmaster eye piece, but not the kitty scooper!

I'll probably have to give this one a codename like PHC-1, short for "Pinhead Crow 1".

I've seen a number of people over the years using those Viewmasters and just scaling down the opening.  No harm in that.

This young lady (likely not that young any more since this picture is from like 1999) is my hero. 

She wanted to build a Crow, but didn't have the budget or the parts to go show accurate.  She poured her hard work into something that Joel could have just as easily made all those years ago.

There were a few other people there with show accurate Crow's, but she was the one invited on stage.

Pinhead22

• Reverse-Engineer-er
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
What event was that? I gotta give her credit for throwing some arms on, there are some pretty accurate Crows out there that have everything but the arms.

Frankly, apart of the reason I don't use the accurate parts is that the prices tend to be too much for what they are, I know some parts are rare but others (like the soap dish and single pins) are a bit pricey.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 01:56:15 PM »
What event was that? I gotta give her credit for throwing some arms on, there are some pretty accurate Crows out there that have everything but the arms.

It's from 1999 or so...  Gateway Con in St. Louis.

Frankly, apart of the reason I don't use the accurate parts is that the prices tend to be too much for what they are, I know some parts are rare but others (like the soap dish and single pins) are a bit pricey.

You wouldn't want to use an original soap dish anyway... too think... too much of a pain to work with... a vacuformed reproduction or even a resin one is much better.

Same thing with the pins... I'll use an original E pin on a project because I've got tons laying around.  MST3KGuy (Bob) has reproduction pins at a pretty competitive price point.

SynaMax

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »

If you're referring to me, I just now putting the arms on my Crow, lol.  Convincing my parents to get $50 worth of bot parts, isn't an easy feat.

Pinhead22

• Reverse-Engineer-er
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »

If you're referring to me, I just now putting the arms on my Crow, lol.  Convincing my parents to get $50 worth of bot parts, isn't an easy feat.
A little improvisation goes a long way.

"MST3KGuy (Bob) has reproduction pins at a pretty competitive price point."
How much? Theres no way I could work with original stuff anyway, I'd have get get a 2nd to get it right.