Author Topic: My most recent arms...  (Read 14068 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
My most recent arms...
« on: August 08, 2011, 08:12:46 PM »

11" / 10" / 10" / 10.75"

I like the positioning of the wrist and shoulder with these measurements.  Plus it allows you to extend the arm without things binding up.

Lil' Monsters joints.  They work best with 100 degree head screws.  I painted the screws separately.

Here we are up top.  Prototype reversed "fancy" wrist.  It's got some texture issues, but heck, it's a prototype!

Finally complete!

Evil Bob

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: My most recent arms...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »
They look better than mine!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:25:51 PM »
They look better than mine!

PFFT... they don't look as nice as I'd like...  Testors and it's stupid ability to blow propellant into the paint and pool like nothing else on Earth.

SynaMax

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:39:32 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info Ron!! :D  They look fantastic!

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:47:27 AM »
Hiya Ron-
  Great work.  Can you please pm me, as I have some questions regarding the construction of Crow's arms and legs.  Thanks so much!
Mark-
All hail Squidra!  Cut off one tentacle and two will grow back in its place and play the clarinet!

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:21:35 AM »
Ron-
  In regards to our Crow Leg discussion can you post some more pics of your arms?  I think I've figured out how the connect to the lower Floralier, but I'm not quite sure yet.  Thanks again!
All hail Squidra!  Cut off one tentacle and two will grow back in its place and play the clarinet!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:53:13 PM »
Do you mean shoulders?

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:04:37 AM »
Yes, rather the tops of the arms as I don't believe they connect with the entire shoulder piece just the swivel joint that connects to the on/off switch.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 06:48:58 PM »
OK, here's the picture I've been trying to find... it's from the Scrapbook VHS tape...

My money says they used whatever they had lying around.

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
Ron-
  Could you post some high res pics or some close ups of the following sections of your arms?
I have hopefully received my Crow parts today and I want to get started on building him.  Oh, also as I have not heard back from him is Randy still offering the arm joint pieces?
Mark-

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »
I hope you're on broadband ;)

Also, Randy is NOTORIOUSLY hard to get a hold of...  pesky full time jobs! ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:14:30 AM by Ron »

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Ron. Yeah, I know Randy is hard to get a hold of, lol. Nice guy, though. My plan to attach Crow's legs really depends on me figuring out the arm to shoulder joint, and then attaching that to the lower part of the floralier. Hopefully, I can figure out an alternative if I can't find something similar. Thanks again for the pics!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:51:06 PM by myersfarms »

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »
Oh, one other thing.  (I know it's always something, lol.) What kind of screws/bolts/nuts are you using?  When I received my Pastruct I thought it looked much to skinny, but having seen the extra width the nut provide I can see that I probably got the right size for Crow's legs.  Thanks again, again, I mean.  ???

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
I space out my arms using plastic nuts.. you can find them in the little "misc parts" drawers by the nuts and bolts at Lowes.

As for the bolts, since Randy's joints have a little raised receiver on top, I'm using 100 degree head Phillips bolts (which aren't that hard to find).

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 09:25:19 AM »
  I received my Crow from Bob Bukowski last week, and I'm very happy with the overall results of his work.  The Crow Body and head are amazing and you can tell he's been doing this for a long time.  One thing that he did differently than I've seen here is the construction of the arms.  I bought the Plastruct,  http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pls/pls90203.htm  <--- Square Tube ABS 1/4'' to construct his legs, as I assumed this is what he had used for his arm construction.  However Bob used squared wooden dowls of 3/8" thickness.  I really like this as it creates a more solid look to me, and since the Plastruct is only 15" long it would have been impossible for me to make his legs from the same material anyway.  A few other differences include certain parts of Crows construction being black instead of gold metal flake.  My questions are, should I paint these parts the gold metal flake to better match what is displayed here (is it show accurate) and just how exactly is the swivel joint in the shoulder attached?  I want to disasemble it to paint it. My next question is on the hands.  My Crow appears to have two of the same hands (left resepectively) is this accurate?  Should they be solid on the inside like the ones in the pics posted by Ron?  As always thanks for your help.