Author Topic: My most recent arms...  (Read 15821 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: My most recent arms...
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 05:27:57 PM »
That's the thing... everyone change the formula slightly, and you end up with a billion different permutations on the same theme.

If you're building something from the Pre-movie era, then the arms are 3/8".  If you're building something that's MST3K:TM on, then it's all 1/4" square ABS Plastruct. 

Plastruct is expensive, only available in shorter lengths (under 15" and under as far as I've seen), and sometimes hard to get when you're on a deadline... so I can completely understand substitutions.  My only beef with 3/8" (and wood at that) is that it's heavy... at least heavier than plastic... that means swinging... which means paint dings.

Keep in mind that the eBay buying public are people who want a bot on budget, and aren't typically thread counters.  Since the bot is now yours, I wouldn't feel any compunction about modifying it as you see fit (or leaving it just as Bob built it).  My Crow is painted to Scifi era standards... which means the shoulder "pin" is gold... that doesn't mean that you won't find a host segment where the pin is black, it's just more consistently gold than black.

Since the "Italian Fanny Pincher" is a one handed device, the hands are going to all be left, unless some intrepid person decided to reverse the mold one day and create a right version one day.  As for them being solid on the inside, that's just how Randy (Lil' Monsters) molds them.  I am unaware of anyone else doing them this same way...  Randy has a number of unique purpose built parts in his catalog.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:36:30 PM by Ron »

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 07:37:40 AM »
That's the thing... everyone change the formula slightly, and you end up with a billion different permutations on the same theme.

Good to know, I was worried about screen accuracy, but I think I need to just relax, lol.  ;D

Plastruct is expensive, only available in shorter lengths (under 15" and under as far as I've seen), and sometimes hard to get when you're on a deadline... so I can completely understand substitutions.  My only beef with 3/8" (and wood at that) is that it's heavy... at least heavier than plastic... that means swinging... which means paint dings.

It is definately expensive, I can't tell you how dissapointed I was to discover that it was only 15" long, and that I couldn't use it for my leg construction.  The plus side to the wood is that I think over time it will hold up better to supporting the weight of the rest of the puppet. Plus with enough sanding and a nice finish I might be able to acheive enough of a plastic look that it might not be so noticible.  Here's hoping anyway.

Keep in mind that the eBay buying public are people who want a bot on budget, and aren't typically thread counters.  Since the bot is now yours, I wouldn't feel any compunction about modifying it as you see fit (or leaving it just as Bob built it).  My Crow is painted to Scifi era standards... which means the shoulder "pin" is gold... that doesn't mean that you won't find a host segment where the pin is black, it's just more consistently gold than black.

In making my bots I really just want to acheive what I'll refer to as a "representation" of the characters.  I know my bots won't be "perfect," but at this point it seems that "perfect" is really determined by the builder.  I am currently running into a similar issue with my Gypsy construction as having the main body be 4' feet long at a 45 degree angle causes some issues for me in terms of how I could display her.  I decided instead to switch the 20" section with with the 4' section making her taller, but no less curvy.  I'm not sure if this makes any sense at the moment, but I'll post pictures in my Gypsy thread when I start it.  ::)

Since the "Italian Fanny Pincher" is a one handed device, the hands are going to all be left, unless some intrepid person decided to reverse the mold one day and create a right version one day.  As for them being solid on the inside, that's just how Randy (Lil' Monsters) molds them.  I am unaware of anyone else doing them this same way...  Randy has a number of unique purpose built parts in his catalog.

What kind of parts?  I'm always curious to know what's available.  I'd really like to get some of his joints, hands and some other parts from him as I think it would be fun to see just how many sources I can use to make my Crow.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:00:31 AM by myersfarms »
All hail Squidra!  Cut off one tentacle and two will grow back in its place and play the clarinet!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »
Randy has made quite a number of "refined design" parts for the bots.  Here's a few:

Solid construction Crow hands w/ integrated "wrist tube."

C-More Buns "arm" replacements.

Molded resin Servo "shoulders."  The part hugs the curve of the barrel... I think it's leaps and bounds nicer than vacuformed.

Here's the two parts together.

Not pictured?  Randy's resin replicas of original Boo Bowls, and "pre-curved" Tyco Turbo trains that are designed to hug the curve of the bowl.

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 09:12:26 PM »
Wow!  Okay then, time already to upgrade my Tom I think.  Hopefully Randy will respond to my e-mails again, I'd love to send him some of my money.  ;D

Since the "Italian Fanny Pincher" is a one handed device, the hands are going to all be left, unless some intrepid person decided to reverse the mold one day and create a right version one day.

To be honest, I'm considering it.  I'd love to tackle that project.  If I can get a set of Randy's hands and of course with his permission, (as I'd cast the top part of the hand.)  I'd really like to do it for myself if nothing else as I know me, eventually the whole two left hands thing is gonna bug me, lol.  One step at a time though...  ;)
All hail Squidra!  Cut off one tentacle and two will grow back in its place and play the clarinet!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 04:46:15 PM »
I'll see if I can get Randy on the phone tonight.  He's a busy busy guy.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 07:49:10 PM »
Randy is alive and well and has been living these last 8 months in the year 1885... no wait, that's Doc Brown.

Seriously though, Randy just finished a major project he was working on and is just now catching up on email.

He said he got your message, and you should have a reply in the next few days.

He also told me about a couple of "secret" specialty parts he's working on....  I'll let him make announcements when the time is right.

Wait.. what's that?  We have a picture of one of the items?  ROLL IT, JOHNNY!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:54:00 PM by Ron »

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
Love it!  I must get one when he announces them.

SynaMax

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
Glad to hear Randy's still alive, haha XD  I need to grab another engine for preservation.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
That's so true... everyone goes into packrat mode every so often since great parts are so rare.

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 09:26:51 AM »
  I hear ya'  I better stock up when I can, I have 516 more Toms to build.  You know, for sake of accuracy.  :o

Ron-
  Where did you get these wrist joints from?  I know the left one is machined, but what about the grooves in this one?  They aren't in the design for the one to be machined. 

Mark-
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:34:45 AM by myersfarms »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »
The "grooves" on this part are from the prototyping method.  My friend used a Makerbot to put it out with extruded plastic... sort of "drawn on" a line at a time.

It's the older Makerbot even... so the diameter of the print is pretty large... thus the rough prototype.

The original joints are from Lil' Monsters.

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »
  Okay, so they aren't supposed to have the lines, good.  That makes me feel so much better.  Are they supposed to be smaller that the "standard" joints to?  I had the part machined (CNC machined) this weekend (I'll post a pic soon, with a comparison to the joint I received from Bob), and it was significantly smaller than I thought it should be.  It kinda worried me, to be honest, because it makes me wonder if all of the joints I have are scaled wrong now.  Any thoughts?  Randy got in touch with me a couple of times this weekend, hpefully I'll have some updated Crow news soon.  ;D

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »
The joint in that file (as well as the prototype in that picture) are scaled to 100% size of the original Wallace Lamp joints.

Anything larger or smaller isn't the correct size.

How about posting some pictures of what you've got scaled next to a ruler or maybe a coin?

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 07:19:52 AM »
I'll do that.  ;D I have the machined piece at home at the moment, and I haven't cut it out yet. I plan to that this weekend when I get some time to work on the bots.  I'll take some comparison picks too with the ones I have from Bob. The pieces (joints) he sent me are too big then, if the piece I had machined is scaled 100% to the Wallace joints.  I assume that Randy's are scaled correctly then?  I really want to do this right as I only ever plan to make the one Crow with legs.  I may make a more mobile puppet version at some point, which I won't worry quite so much about, but time will tell.  8)

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »
Keep in mind that the wrist joint that many people use is just scratch built... for a while, it just looked like a giant "guitar pick."

My guess says that the reason why this was the norm for a while is to keep the spacing of the "tibia and fibula" consistent if the arm was bent.

Many can attest to cutting their Plastuct too short and ending up with the wrist all pinched up... all this is averted by just using some modified measurements.