Author Topic: Hi! New to the forum and I want to build Crow some legs!  (Read 7507 times)

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
Hi! New to the forum and I want to build Crow some legs!
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:25:28 AM »
Hi all I am new to the boards here, and though I am not new to building prop replicas I have officially enetered the world of Bot Building by finishing my Tom Servo on Saturday.  My next project is kind of a cheater project as I will be using a Crow built by Bob aka Sledge Riprock just as soon as I win one from him on eBay. =~)  I want to make a Crow with a full body.  I already have his feet and his knees, but I'm not sure how to attach them to the bottom of the Floriar(sp) I also need to source the lamp parts. (Reproductions prefered).  I believe I found the links to the Plastruct material, but I'm not quite sure how tall to make him. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark-Myers' Farms Online!
All hail Squidra!  Cut off one tentacle and two will grow back in its place and play the clarinet!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Hi! New to the forum and I want to build Crow some legs!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:07:50 AM »

The arm measurements here appear to be based off the pre-movie lengths...  adjust your completely random measurements accordingly ;)

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »
Thanks again Ron!  I cannot tell you how much that helps!  8)
All hail Squidra!  Cut off one tentacle and two will grow back in its place and play the clarinet!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »
Like Frank, I live to serve. ;)

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:19:43 AM »
Push the button, Ron.   ;)

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »
Got my plastruct tubing Friday!  I now have his knees, feet and tubing.  All I need now is the foam insulation and his joints!  He's coming together!  What kind of screws do I need to attach the joints to the legs when I go to assemble them? Ron, I'm looking at you here, my man.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:45:49 AM by myersfarms »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
I'd use the same sort of stuff as you did on the arms... since these are just "hangy arms" anyway ;)

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:37:48 AM »
Well, I've bought the Crow from Bob on eBay, so I'm not sure what kind he uses yet. My plan is to add the legs to his completed Crow. I realize that it's kinda cheating, lol, but when I priced parts to build my own it was acctually cheaper to buy his. I plan to take him apart to paint him to match the legs if I have to.  I'm hoping that the differences in the batches isn't too noticable. 
  On a similar note, I was watching the "The Unearthly" and in it at the beginning Gypsy is filming the bots for an Americas Funniest Home Videos parody where Crow (made up to look like a little girl) is sitting atop four cases of flammable pajamas.  In this segment, for whatever reason Crow has two sets of Grabber Claws for his feet.
I've included a picture:

My question is what is correct?  I kinda like the two claw look, to be honest. ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:49:55 AM by myersfarms »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 01:24:21 AM »
Did I post this one already?  It's from the scrapbook tape.

In any case, here's the "articulated hands" rig that Trace worked hard on that never really worked out... hey look, legs!  ;)

Here's some images lifted from the Unearthly DVD...   Looks like the bottoms of hands sort of "kitbashed" into a forked toe foot.    No "knee caps" I'm noticing.

Check out those crazy long pre-movie arms... and the lack of paint on most of them... heh.

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 10:51:16 AM »
I have a design idea in mind that I'm going to work with, here's hoping it works.  Wish me luck, and I'll post pics when I can.  :D