Author Topic: Boo Bowl Photos and Measurements  (Read 3165 times)

sledge_riprock

• View Profile
    • MST3K Bots
    • Email
Boo Bowl Photos and Measurements
« on: June 03, 2014, 01:17:07 PM »
I've been meaning to post some of my Boo Bowl photos for a while now so here they are.

It seems to me that these bowls are hand crafted which might explain their rarity. The letters on each are hand painted as is the bat on the one bowl. The cat was spray painted with a stencil. Both have the same stickers on the bottoms but no manufacturer names. I asked one of the sellers where he originally purchased his and he said from someone in Minnesota.

My guess is that Minnesota resident bought plain white bowl and painted them with holiday themes and sold them in a craft store or flea market. They were probably only sold locally which would explain their rarity in other places.

On another note:
A while back someone told me that a member of this forum knew which doll Servos hands came from, but he wasn't sharing the info (not very MSTie like). I was wondering if any one had any more info on that front? I've been doing my own searches for years and have seen a lot of close matches, but haven't found the real doll with Servo's hands.

sledge_riprock

• View Profile
    • MST3K Bots
    • Email
Re: Boo Bowl Photos and Measurements
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:19:43 PM »
More photos of the Boo Bowl. The last photo has a Decor salad bowl. The Boo Bowl is about 1/4 higher than the Decor but the diameters of the top and bottom are almost the same.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 01:23:49 PM by sledge_riprock »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »
Thanks for posting the Boo Bowl photos!

A while back someone told me that a member of this forum knew which doll Servos hands came from, but he wasn't sharing the info (not very MSTie like). I was wondering if any one had any more info on that front? I've been doing my own searches for years and have seen a lot of close matches, but haven't found the real doll with Servo's hands.

Neil Bridges (Quartus - who's never been a member of this forum, but was a member of the Yahoo Bot Builder's group) claimed that he had found the vent puppet that was used for Servo's hands.  But never produced a photo of the full puppet, nor would he divulge the manufacturer of the figure.  He just said it was a "Jerry Mahoney puppet" and refused to elaborate further.

So yes, very un-MSTie like, and very much contrary to the spirit of the bot building community. :\

Here's the picture he posted:

Just the hands with some stumpy little arms attached. No fabric arm - which would instantly lend itself to it even being a vent puppet... just enough to get people excited, but not give them any leads other than the caucasian flesh color (which would seem to eliminate ethnic or fantasy / comedic style vent puppets or dolls).

I've looked at THOUSANDS of eBay auctions over the years, and even talked with the curator of the world's largest collection of vent puppets.... and no one has seen these hands on a vent puppet, or at least has any recollection of it.  Everyone will tell you the hands always mirror one another, and are generally "flat" compared to a doll's hands.

At IndyPopCon I asked Joel about the hands since I had him to myself for about 5 minutes, and I explained how servo's hands have a very un-vent puppet like look to them... they don't mirror each other exactly, and they have pronounced "dimples" on the knuckles (which my research shows often times indicates a child doll or a clown doll).  He thought for a moment, and then said that he just couldn't remember where they came from "it might have been a puppet, or possibly a doll" he said.

So the search continues....

EDIT:  Here's a thread from a while back where we talked about the hands....

http://www.botbuilders.info/index.php?topic=36.0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:21:54 PM by Ron »

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:39:51 PM »
Bob, its David from fort wayne.

Where did you find those boo bowls? I'm very curious. ???
"Watch out for snakes!"

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 01:53:18 PM »
If memory serves, he picked it up on eBay.

sledge_riprock

• View Profile
    • MST3K Bots
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 11:16:48 AM »
I did indeed get one of them on ebay. The other I got from trading with a bot builder in TX. He bought TWO at the same time from a seller on eBay. He said that seller was from Minnesota and I believe the ebay seller I purchased my bowl from was also located in MN.

I think that the Boo Bowl rarity comes from the fact that they may have only been sold in Minnesota. Like I said in the previous post the lettering and art work is all hand painted and in all the photos I've ever seen of other bowls none of them exactly match any other bowls.

If you know someone in MN they could search garage sales and thrift stores and maybe get lucky and find one, or more.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
It certainly does seem like a regional thing... the fact that the art is just painted on seems to back up the theory.

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 08:05:16 PM »
That does seem to make sense, that they were hand made and sold in craft fairs and ended up in thrift shops, and it just happened to what the Brains found.
"Watch out for snakes!"