Author Topic: Resin bowling pins, vacuformed Boo Bowls, etc. -- What's your opinion?  (Read 1959 times)

Aaron N.

• View Profile
    • Email
So, has anyone worked with predominantly replica parts? Are the new resin pins, for instance, easier to work with than the old-school plastic pins? Was it more difficult to cut Crow's mouth using the resin copy? What about vacuformed bowls? Are they as thick and sturdy as original Boo Bowls?

I understand replica parts are a bit of a necessary evil at this point in the game. It's just been too long since some of these things were made...But I still sort of have some apprehension when it comes to them.

And, yeah, I see the irony of it all considering BBI used both resin and vacuformed copies from the get-go. :)

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Resin bowling pins, vacuformed Boo Bowls, etc. -- What's your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
I've never worked with a resin pin, but my understanding is that the thickness is more uniform than an original crown on e-pin...  which can be like paper, or thick enough to club a whale to death with.

As for reproduction bowls, Randy at Lil' Monsters sells a resin cast copy of the Boo Bowl, and the thickness is nice and it can withstand some punishment.

As for any reproduction part being "evil,"  I'd rather see an army of Crows and Servo's built with reproduction parts than never built at all.... plus, we should be preserving orginal parts if for no other reason that using a brittle 32 year old Money Lovers Barrel is a bad idea anyway ;)

SynaMax

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »
I highly recommend both Bob and Randy's resin parts and the Tom Servo kits that Bob sells on eBay.  Bob's e pin is nice and thick and you can get them precut so you don't have to worry about screwing up.

Bob's vacuumformed Boo Bowl is also very well made and thick.  It has held up many con tours and accidental drops.

And yes, I totally agree with Ron: reproduction parts are better adapted for bot building and made of more stable plastic than the originals.  As a replica prop builder of props for other movies, I can attest that replica parts are incredibly important.

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 11:02:53 AM »
My opinion on the Vacu-formed and resin parts?

The ones that Bob sells on his website are really good, and they hold together really well........unless your moody older sister goes berserk and throws your bots against the wall and fireplace :o

That's what happened to me before Christmas. :'(
"Watch out for snakes!"

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »
I rebuilt a Servo for a guy whose sibling did something similar.

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »
My opinion on the Vacu-formed and resin parts?

The ones that Bob sells on his website are really good, and they hold together really well........unless your moody older sister goes berserk and throws your bots against the wall and fireplace :o

That's what happened to me before Christmas. :'(
jesus Christ that's harsh.
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 11:54:13 AM »
Yeah............ Dr. Cad don't worry she paid for new parts was put him and servo back together good as new!
"Watch out for snakes!"