Author Topic: Haircut Dispenser Advice  (Read 3196 times)

Roll Fizzlebeef

• View Profile
    • Email
Haircut Dispenser Advice
« on: November 18, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »
I recently got Tom's haircut style dispenser from eBay, I'm planing to make an alternate head for my Servo buildup.

Does anyone know if the tube was removed and reattached using a second lid, the way the dome was? The few reference photos I was able to find, and the footage from the show (at least what I found on YouTube) don't show this detail very well.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Haircut Dispenser Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »
Nice clean picture from over on Neil's site....  no second lid.

Roll Fizzlebeef

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 01:14:46 AM »
Thank you! I managed to remove the cylinder, without breaking anything, and painting is underway. The next challenge will be putting in the eye bolt (I'm thinking JB weld) and rigging the string. The bottom mouth piece doesn't have a flange to drill through for attaching the string (see image). I'm hoping it will hold up if I just tie it to the same spot the spring attaches to.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »
Keep us posted!

SynaMax

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »
Thank you! I managed to remove the cylinder, without breaking anything, and painting is underway. The next challenge will be putting in the eye bolt (I'm thinking JB weld) and rigging the string. The bottom mouth piece doesn't have a flange to drill through for attaching the string (see image). I'm hoping it will hold up if I just tie it to the same spot the spring attaches to.

Just curious, how did you take the cylinder off without breaking it?  I got a few of these guys at home, waiting for a Tom Servo conversion :)

Roll Fizzlebeef

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
I think it was mostly luck. The way I did it will sound a little weird but it was worth trying...

First I tried heating whatever adhesive was used with a blow dryer (pretty hot, but not enough to melt the plastic) and very gently squeezing around the bottom of the cylinder. When the blow dryer did't seem to be working, I started using one hand to warm the base of the cylinder with friction, while gently pulling up on it with the other hand and occasionally running my thumbnail between the cylinder and the head. After about ten minutes I felt it loosen on one side, so I kept it up until the whole thing just popped off perfectly clean.

I was as surprised as you might be that it worked... but I'm glad it did!

I'll post some progress pictures later today.

Roll Fizzlebeef

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 12:38:29 AM »
This is my progress so far!

For my first build I took out the mouth pieces and spray painted them separately. For the new head I decided to try leaving the mouth intact and brush painting the silver metallic on. No matter how thinly I applied the paint the brushstrokes were pretty bad. So, I have sanded the mouth smooth and will use the spray paint as soon as I'm confident the clear coat is cured enough to mask over.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to get the rigging set up.

Roll Fizzlebeef

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 12:46:20 AM »
This is the original build I did last month. I got the kit from Bob (sledge_riprock on eBay, I'd imagine he's a member here!).

What do you think, sirs?