Author Topic: It's raw pork, he'll know what it means ...A Crow build  (Read 12366 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: It's raw pork, he'll know what it means ...A Crow build
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »
I've got Empire pins that you could club a whale to death with, and then I have ones that seem to be made out of onion skin.  I blame the oil crisis in the 70's. ;)

katsu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 05:22:03 AM »
I would probably get the paper thin ones with my luck! The cast one is nice but it clacks loudly when I chatter his mouth. Despite their problems, it's amazing how well those thin plastic pins held all of the stuff bolted onto them. I don't know if any modern mold-casting option would offer the light weight, flexibility and strength of those pins.

I was tempted to model out the shoulders and dish, but I'm afraid of infringing on the wonderful vendors out there. It's a pretty narrow market and it need not be further carved up.

Aaron N.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »
I know this thread is older than the hills, but man...I'm FEELING that printed eye mech.

Did anybody actually print one up? I'd love to see some pics and hear some stories.

katsu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 11:55:47 PM »
I actually just printed a new revision today. I'll take pictures on the morrow. I was struggling to get the ratio correct so I can get motion and stability for the strings.

I also took a year break because of school and work. I'm making an effort to get back into my hobbies lately.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 03:23:51 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what you've worked out!

Aaron N.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 09:59:22 AM »
Yeah, please post pics of the new mech. I think this is one of those ideas that will really move the hobby forward.

I went ahead and had a friend print me up the parts using the link posted before. He's supposed to get them to me this week. I'm excited to try everything out.

katsu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 12:47:21 AM »
The ones on Thingiverse are old as crumbs, sorry! I just updated it with the new files. You may be horribly disappointed with the ones you had printed, the wheel is soooo big it hampers the movent and scoots the eyes too far forward. But input helps a lot for me to revise the design, just keep in mind I updated it from what you will have!
If you're in North America, I'd be happy to send you new ones if your friend is unable to print the new files.

(There is only one bolt above, the one on the right is a reflection on the super shiny surface of the 3d print)

(The slot in the lower right part is so it can be mounted without having to re-wire the eyes)

I'm going to work on the base mechanism next. I'm also strongly tempted to 3d scan in the soap dish so I can make a better wooden plug for the vacuformer.. and find good blueprints for the shoulders elbows and wrists so I can cut them in aluminum or polycarb... lots of big plans for this, I'm sure only one or two of them will see fruition.

Aaron N.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 09:49:38 AM »
Very exciting to see your progress!

Aaron N.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 09:14:07 AM »
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I thought folks might want to see some more pics of your new eye mech. These are just test prints but they already look amazing. The work is just incredible.

katsu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 06:38:32 PM »
Let me know if I need to do anything to improve. Not even sure which version of the pivot joints those are. Here is a picture of how I wired it. This along with the texture of the 3d print seemed to tension it enough for me, but you could drop some glue in there to keep the wire from slipping.

Moderately happy with the eyeball holder, but I may change that to be two cups instead, so as not to risk damaging the ping-pong balls.

Also, nifty Delta printer there! Let me know if you need me to mail you the newer center pillar part of the pivot which has the slots for the wire to pass through.

Also, I pulled my soap dish in ABS, and had a PS one from Sledge Riprock. Side by side. I'll probably stick with the PS one:

The ABS one is sturdy as heck, and the PS is super flimsy, but I lost a lot more detail than I'd like with the ABS one and it was really hard on my soap dish (dish is ABS also, so the thermoform was close to melting it) I'll paint both and make a final call based on which holds paint best.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:52:51 PM by katsu »