Author Topic: Eye clearance  (Read 2517 times)

Carpeteria

• View Profile
    • Email
Eye clearance
« on: December 28, 2013, 01:50:06 PM »
Hey folks - after getting a glorious Tom Servo built a year ago or so, I decided to jump full on into doing a Crow, and I've been able to get all of the parts needed. I was lucky enough to score one of the real Schwartz soap dishes, and I was planning on using the actual dish for the puppet. My issue is the clearance inside of the dish for the ping pong balls - I can get them wedged in there, but only just so that they're really squeezed in. I don't know how much clearance there will be for the eyes to move around as needed. Watching the show, it seems like there's quite a bit of room for them to move around, but that's not the case so far with what I have.

I see that most folks use or make a vacu-formed copy of the dish, but is that necessary? If anything, I'd think that might make even less room inside of the "socket" for the eyes to move. I don't have access to a vacu-form machine, so if anyone knows a secret to getting the dish to work, I'd love to hear it. I'll be glad to post pics of my progress as it goes - so far I'm just painting ever so slowly, layer by layer, drip by drip.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Carpeteria

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Eye clearance
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »
Hmm... I may have actually solved my own problem. I was thinking this whole time that only the ridges inside of the dish had to be removed, but looking at what others have done with their vac'd dishes, it seems that the entire inside has to be removed entirely, yes? So I did that. I removed it. It was painful, but it had to be done. No problems with eye clearance now, I'll betcha.

So yeah. Thanks, everyone.

katsu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
That hurts to hear! From what I've read, the KTMA crow had the pingpong balls crammed into the dish giving it that weird bug-eyed look it had. All subsequent crows on the show were from vacuformed dishes which were hollowed out, so if the cowl broke they could easily make more. I would have gladly vacuformed a bunch of copies of your cowl for cost. I get nervous messing with originals because once they break you are out of luck forever. It is ultimately yours and your decision though!

http://quartus.net/nbridges/bots/crow/

That has some great info on the history and methods of crow's build!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:43:02 AM »
You certainly have to shave down those inner ridges for a KTMA Crow is you use 40mm ping pong balls.... 

Carpeteria

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, you guys - I think the KTMA one was messing with my head. I was able to successfully Dremel out the backing of the soapdish, so no worries. I wanted to have something stronger than a vac-formed piece, and that ought to do the trick.

Katsu - thanks for the vac-form offer. I'd love to get my Tyco train vac'd a few times at some point to replace the ones I have on my Servo right now. The ones on my bot are a bit flimsy, and I cracked one recently while repairing the glue. Thanks also for the link to that page - I've seen that one before, but it's always good to revist.

Ron - if those are your KTMA bots, well done! They look amazing.