Author Topic: Cool Trick Using Real Servo Shoulders  (Read 2122 times)

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
Cool Trick Using Real Servo Shoulders
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:56:34 PM »
Hey guys, this is my very first bb.info post!

I am a first time bot builder and I am almost finished creating my very own Crow and Tom Servo (hopefully gypsy someday as well), but while I was building Tom's shoulders I came across an issue with mounting his arms. First, let me back up and say that I was going to use Bob's vacuum-formed bezel shoulders until I found the real eveready ones at a local thrift store. The only problem was that after mounting the bezels to his barrel, I couldn't find a way to mount his arms without the bottom rim of the bezel blocking slinky arms. So recently, I stumbled across a solution that may already be known within the bot building community, but I couldn't wait to share it anyway, so here goes. I discovered that a 3" diameter "poster tube plug" (see attached photo) will fit perfectly into the bezel. The plug acts as a way to mount the arms by pushing them away from the barrel so that the springs can clear the bottom bezel edge and fall freely.
♪ TA-DA! ♪

The only other problem I had was making it flush with the rest of the bezel. In order to do so, I cut off the bottoms of the vacuum-formed bezels and glued them to the bottom of the tube plugs. Basically, it now appears as a smooth bubble inside of the bezel which blends in with the rest of the arm (very well in my opinion). Sorry if the way I described this doesn't make sense, hopefully the pictures will help.

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cool Trick Using Real Servo Shoulders
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »
Here's what one of them looks like...

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Cool Trick Using Real Servo Shoulders
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:08:12 PM »
Nice workaround, and welcome to the forum!