Author Topic: Need help on Tom Servo's shoulders  (Read 5503 times)

flobiwan

• View Profile
    • Email
Need help on Tom Servo's shoulders
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »
I'm building a Tom Servo and need help with the shoulders.  I'm using some Vacu-formed bezels that i got from MST3Kguy.com.  I cut semi-circles in the top and bottom to make them conform to the barrel but they still don't look right.  There is too much space at the top and bottom between the barrel and the bezel.  I reviewed some MST3K tapes and noticed that the original Tom doesn't have the semi-circles cut but there seems to be a nice uniform distance down the side of the bezel.  Does anyone know how Best Brains attached the shoulders on their Tom Servo?  Would i have better luck tracking down and using the original bezels? 

Fredd

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Need help on Tom Servo's shoulders
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:40:14 PM »
If you check out this screenshot from the SciFi era, you'll see that no effort is made to contour to the shape of shoulder to the barrel.

If you're looking for something that "hugs" the barrel, you might look into Lil' Monsters resin cast shoulders.

flobiwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:11:22 AM »
Yeah, but even in the photo, the distance between barrel and bezel all the way down is uniform.  I have much more space on the top and bottom than in the middle.  How do i get in touch with Lil' Monster?

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:51:14 PM »
Post some pictures of what you're working with...  maybe we can help.

You can email Randy at Lil' Monsters at lilmonster9 at aol dot com.

flobiwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 07:31:49 PM »
Thanks!  I'm ordering the resin shoulders.  Hopefully this will solve my problems.  The vacu-formed ones probably would have been just fine if i wasn't such an idiot with building stuff.  I'm not too good with my hands. 

This is my first time building something like this so i'll probably be back on the board with more stupid questions.

Here's one - how do you attach the springs to the hands?  The arms that i have have grooves that it looks like the springs go into but i can't figure out how to put the springs on the hands.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 04:47:27 PM »
The hands should be cast with a little extra material at the wrist that allows you some space to attach the hands... on my Servo, the only think holding them on is friction. ;)

Ask lots of questions!

jbl

• MSN Messenger - jbleavitt01@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • JackDaMan Productions
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »
I need help also I have a Eveready floating lantern (model 108) and I am vacuum forming the clip on tom servo shoulder off my flashlight and I don't want to take off the clips because im doing Gypsy from season 2 so the shoulder part will still be on the lantern but it will be grey so Im just wondering what I should do because if I vacuum form it it will have to be standing on the clips
Jack.L

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »
Build a "platform" that allows you to countersink the clips.... now you don't have to cut them off. :)

"I don't want to take off the clips because im doing Gypsy from season 2 so the shoulder part will still be on the lantern"

???

jbl

• View Profile
    • JackDaMan Productions
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
1.thanks
2.I ment to say season 1 but in the intro of season 2 gypsy still has it on
Jack.L

jbl

• View Profile
    • JackDaMan Productions
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »
and when I said take off I meant to say I just didn't want to used a Vacuum Formed shoulder piece for Gypsy's Head I wanted to used the original
Jack.L