Author Topic: Century Infant Seat is the new rarest item?  (Read 7312 times)

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Century Infant Seat is the new rarest item?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »
If you know of anyone that has a spare, or giving it up because they don't have room, let me know ;)
Thanks Ron

If Joel doesn't call out for parts, is it possible that you could sell it to me?
"Watch out for snakes!"

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »
I'm thinking I'm basically just holding on to it forever... the only person who could convince me to sell at this point would be Joel.

1984gojifan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 02:04:01 PM »
Ron where did you find those Love seats, is it possible for you to find one for me? :'(
"Watch out for snakes!"

sledge_riprock

• View Profile
    • MST3K Bots
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 11:29:14 AM »
When the weather gets nicer and the garage sales begin you need to search the sales at old crappy run-down houses or barns. A place that looks like they may have had a use for the seat back in the 70s. No one after 1980 was ever going to use or own one of these seats, so skip sales in nice neighborhoods or newer houses. Old farm houses are good places.

Same with thrift or antique stores. If you see a crummy little roadside place stop and check them out. I think newer more reputable places have to turn in or destroy unsafe or out of date car seats.

Its a shame but back in the 90s when I was hunting for parts I saw these seats everywhere. Every single secondhand store that I went to had one of those seats. At one time I had about a dozen of them and finally stopped buying them because I had no place to store them.

I am seriously looking into making some cast replicas. When I free up some more time I'm going to do a few tests on different techniques and see what works best. I will let you all know when I come up with something.

shorty1k

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 06:45:57 PM »
Please do keep us posted on that. Every time I pass by a dumpster I fantasize about seeing one of those seats and I'd sell half the crap I own to fund getting one of my own.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 07:04:15 PM »
The #1 source for Century Love Seats are fellow bot builders who've given up on completing a Gypsy after they already purchased the seat.

That's where I bought all three of the ones I've owned over the years.

It's posted elsewhere on the forum, but at a scifi con I went to in St. Louis is the early 2000's a guy was selling seats for something like $25 each...  and had a stack of at least 20.

I should have bought every last one.

1984gojifan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 08:42:22 PM »
Shorty1k you aren't the only one who fantasizes about building Gypsy on a daily basis  :'(

It's kinda sad that the seat was so popular back in the 1970s, and now the seats were recalled in the early 1980s, and the government destroyed them, and it was the ones that survived the purge, that happened to sit in a Twin Cities area thrift shop, and someone from Best Brains, probably Trace, walked in while in production of Season 1 and bought it.  :-\
"Watch out for snakes!"