Author Topic: Definitive Height?  (Read 3269 times)

Archon

• View Profile
Definitive Height?
« on: August 04, 2014, 06:20:54 PM »
Currently have a Gypsy build in progress. My first attempt at her skelleton put her at about 8 feet tall. After cutting her down some, shes now about 6'1.

My question is, have they ever come out and given a definitive height for her?

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Definitive Height?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »
I think the clearest shot you'll ever see of a object with a known height sitting next to Gypsy is when Mike (6' 1") stands right next to her during MST3K:TM.

Based on this photo, I'd put her height closer to 5'.

Granted, there are many different factors to base the height of your bot on... era, puppet wrangler's height, camera perspective.... but since you'll be the only one who'll ever really know, I'd say 6' doesn't hurt a thing.

Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »
Ultimately the goal is to have her be full R/C so I can drive her around at cons. So I think shes about where I want her center of gravity to be.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 08:34:13 PM »
The seat isn't light....  you'd think the shorter she is, the easier to control and less likely to topple over she'd be.

I'm excited to see what you get going!

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 03:43:34 PM »
Bob told me that the PVC measurements in the bot building guide couldn't be correct, if they were correct, then she'd be over 7 feet tall and that would make her hard to carry without bumping into things. If you look at that hi-res season 4 production picture of Jim, Trace and Kevin, Gypsy is shorter than Jim. Bob said that he makes her about eye level which was about how tall she was when Joel was on the show.

But I digress, He said the closer dimensions were two 6 inch pieces of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe one 24 inch piece, and one 20-24 inch piece that the handlebars attach to. Now after examining pictures of Jim and Patrick puppeteering Gypsy behind the scenes, it also appears that they're wearing some kind of harness vest that they mount Gypsy's PVC pipe on, that way they can turn Gypsy easier.   
"Watch out for snakes!"

LukeThreepwood

• Dill is a good spice! I will not have it maligned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 08:15:20 AM »
I always assumed the rig that Jim and Patrick used to support Gypsy was one of those flag carriers that the color guard in marching bands use, they're specially designed to support the weight of a heavy flag while marching for long periods.

http://www.amazon.com/Parade-Flag-Carrier-Double-Belt/dp/B00IKRA8ZW/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1433078078&sr=1-1&keywords=Parade+Flag+Carrier+2%22+Double+Web+Belt+1902
Yes, these river bottoms...

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 11:34:30 AM »
Thanks Luke, much appreciated!  :)
"Watch out for snakes!"