Author Topic: Lookin' for Crow parts, hopin' for evil  (Read 3821 times)

Gromilini

• View Profile
    • Email
Lookin' for Crow parts, hopin' for evil
« on: March 26, 2015, 01:18:07 AM »
Is this mic on?

Hi everyone, I've just finished my Servo, and now I'm starting down that long Crow road. I have my Cooper XL7 and one Tupperware Floralier already, but now I'm looking for...well, everything else. I'd prefer the "real" parts, but can be tempted with resin copies if the price is right.

Does anyone have any Schwarz soap holders, Empire bowling pins, fanny grabber pinchers, etc. that you're willing to part with? PM me, and let's discuss...

Thanks, and hope to hear from some fellow obsessives soon!

Michael
(Gromilini)

fkane123

• View Profile
Re: Lookin' for Crow parts, hopin' for evil
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »
FWIW, a Schwarz soap dish will only do you any good if you intend to do your own vacuum-form pull from it after grinding off the flower. BBI only used the original dish on KTMA - it has a huge flower on it, and is way too thick, for a "modern" Crow. So maybe you can spare yourself that particular expense...

If you really want one, I'd suggest putting an alert on Ebay for "Schwarz Bros" (without "soap dish"), since not everyone knows it's a soap dish. I found mine as part of an entire set of matching bathroom items that I bought, and then realized I couldn't actually use it for anything. If you check Ebay right now, you can get every part of that set - except the soap dish! But, it does come up from time to time.

I gave up on finding Empire pins, but I think mst3kbots still has a small supply available for sale (along with any replica parts you could want.)

Looks like you just missed a fanny pincher at auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fanny-Pincher-Grabby-Hands-MST3K-Crow-bot-parts-/231507166856  As you can see, they don't go cheaply and they don't come up often.

Don't forget the 38mm ping pong balls - I used real "Gnip Gnop" balls on mine! And, if you're going for the eye mechanism that has a wheel at the top - finding an appropriate wheel can be surprisingly hard.

Gromilini

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:28:20 PM »
Thanks for the info about the Schwarz Bros part--didn't realize the real thing was less workable than vacuformed ones. Probably will save that expense and headache, and just go with a replica.

Still wrestling with how "real" I want to go with this and trying to dial in the amount of assembly I'm capable of. Very tempting to buy pre-assembled arms, pre-cut pins, etc., but will it still feel like I built it? Then again, maybe it's more likely to actually happen and look halfway decent...

Pretty sure I'll go for the Gnip Gnop balls. I actually had one as a kid--wish I'd saved it (or rather, wish my folks had saved it and stored it for me these past decades)  :)

May I ask what you ended up using for the eye mechanism wheel...?

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:16:37 AM »
Gnip Gnop balls only really matter if you're going for KTMA or Season 1... past that, they were using reproduction soap dishes and 38mm ping pong balls.

fkane123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »
Aren't Gnip Gnop balls 38mm? In that case, nobody will ever know either way!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 12:19:05 PM »
I don't have a caliper to measure, but I believe they're SLIGHTLY smaller than 38mm.

fkane123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 02:29:25 PM »
May I ask what you ended up using for the eye mechanism wheel...?

It ended up being totally random. I was replacing the spring mechanism in one of the sliding windows of my house  (http://amzn.com/B004YD535G, which had a little pulley system inside of it. The wheel from that worked nicely, although getting it out required drilling.

That was after I bought every little sliding door wheel I could find at Home Depot, only to find all of them were still way too big.

I think I read that the original was ripped out of an old copier or something.  You can buy pre-assembled control rods from mst3kbots.com as well, which have an even better wheel included with them. Would love to know where he gets them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:36:02 PM by fkane123 »

fkane123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »
I don't have a caliper to measure, but I believe they're SLIGHTLY smaller than 38mm.

I had to check....

I don't have a caliper either, but eyeballing it against a ruler, if it's not 38mm it's really, really close.

A case for regular 38mm ping pong balls however is that they're white, and gnip-gnop balls are colored. Maybe that makes them a little easier to paint without the eyes looking too dark. Plus there's no way to get gnip-gnop balls out without destroying the game's case in the process, which makes you feel a little guilty.

DaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 08:22:27 PM »
Brightside is if you're going to make the KTMA SOL like here in this thread : http://www.botbuilders.info/index.php?topic=207.0

Than you would need to use a Gnip Gnop game for the center of the SOL, freeing up the ping pong balls. So basically making a KTMA/S1 Crow as a potential side project to the KTMA SOL, or vice versa, or both at the same time, or neither and you can play Gnip Gnop  ;D

minermark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 11:40:35 PM »
Looking for Crows hands.
Sources?
The more sources the better.

5/30/15 ok got a pair from a forum member, thanx guys.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:06:12 PM by minermark »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 11:09:09 AM »
Contact Bob about hands...

http://mst3kbots.com/