Author Topic: Beeper  (Read 8278 times)

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
Beeper
« on: April 21, 2015, 07:17:06 AM »
Here's my take on beeper, the precursor to Tom Servo. He was featured in the un-aired pilot episode "K00 - The Green Slime" in 1988.

Here's the episode in two parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5f-yqtl7l4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrG6j8pnXhA

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beeper
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 07:32:25 AM »
The base is a regular ol' traffic cone from Lowe's and a "Marine Dock 12" Piling Cone Cap Boat Pylon Edge Post Head." The cone cap can be purchased from amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Piling-Pylon-White-Cover/dp/B00M35JPN8/

I used the 12" version, and cut it down to 10 3/4" in diameter. Then I used the excess as a lip on the bottom to curve in. I also glued black foam insulation around the lip to help round it off.

The hands are from the great bot part master, Robert Bukoski.

Arms are made from parts of an old steam vac hose.

Shoulders are E-pins aka empire pins.

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:09:04 AM »
Originally, I thought the head was a vintage microphone but I've had no luck finding anything that resembled it whatsoever. So I have to give a HUGE thanks to Bob Bukoski for his help because I almost gave up on this project. Bob suggested that the head resembled an old slide viewer. I thought he was crazy but after doing some research I stumbled upon the "Halina Slide Viewer" which had a very similar shape to the original beeper. Luckily, because of the way in which the Halina is constructed I was able to cut it down and re-glue it to half its original size.

What I love most about the Halina is that it's vintage which is a rule I try to abide by as much as possible when using similar parts in place of unknown ones.

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »
and last but not least, the cornea. I cut down a vintage white 1980's l'eggs eggs shell to create the cornea. Again, keeping it vintage.

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 08:25:54 AM »
Shoot, I forgot to talk about the helmet. Sooo they have tons of different names: penny jar, display container, candy jar, candy container, plastic fishbowl container, candy dispenser, cookie dispenser  etc. The trick is finding one that has two placement surfaces at the correct angle. I bought 10 different jars, containers, whatever and this is the closest one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJXV6MG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another concern is the size. This one is a 1.25 gallon and while it's not perfect, it does the job. My guess is that the one Joel used was around 2 gallons. You can tell because his is much wider than mine.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 08:29:01 AM »
AMAZING WORK!

I've had several conversations with Joel over the years about what traffic cone he supposedly used, and even contacted the curator of the world's largest traffic cone museum (who had never seen a cone like the one on KTMA Beeper / Servo)...

It's so cool to see one that looks like the original part!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:37:11 AM by Ron »

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 09:21:11 AM »
Thanks Ron!

Yeah, I did a lot of research too but I got nothing :(  At this point I'm all about finding parts that closely resemble the originals.

shorty1k

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 07:15:40 PM »
Yes!! Finally a super simple solution to the ktma cone problem! I had been stocking parts for a silver servo down the road and now I'll be able to get one without messing with 3d printing, sanding, and a ton of gluing pieces together. Thanks for making such detailed threads! If you could figure out a solution for ktma cambot next, you'll be my fricken hero!

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »
You're Beeper is amazing :) I was thinking about making one myself.  ;)
"Watch out for snakes!"

sledge_riprock

• View Profile
    • MST3K Bots
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 06:35:10 PM »
Again great job on Beeper.

Also I think you're on the right track with the hoverskirt being made out of two separate items. I recently was carefully reviewing all the KTMA episodes and there are two instances where you can see a definite gap between the traffic cone and the flared bottom piece on the hoverskirt. I don't have any good screen shots at the moment but if you check out the second host segment in K09 Phase IV and the 3rd host segment in K18 Su-Muru you can check it out yourselves.

DaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 01:17:19 AM »
Its amazing, you think you've hit a block and cant go any further, and now you may have very cracked one of the biggest mysteries of the ktma bots themselves, a mystery going right back the beginning itself!

Speaking of mysteries, how do you keep the helmet jar attached but removable for adjusting? With some careful design for the eye assempy, you could make it removable so you could have a base body with interchangable Beeper & KTMA Servo heads!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:19:13 AM by DaZero »

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 07:20:40 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. I'm glad I could give something back to the forum.

First I'd like to address the gap in his hover skirt. After the traffic cone was cut to the desired height, I tried to make the bottom outer edge as sharp as possible by grinding down the inside edge (No picture unfortunately). This helped to create a more seamless transition into the marine cone. Of course it's not perfect, so if you squat down and look at the hoverskirt from a lower angle, the gap is more visible. Luckily, the gap isn't too bad but maybe as sledge_riprock mentioned the original was also a two piece.

The helmet is very thin which allows it to be flexible. I cut the mouth of the container so that it would be a hair smaller than the barrel's "head hoop" (thank you, Google). And while my helmet clamps around the head hoop, Joel's is pinched in between the barrel and the shoulders. You can tell because the e-pin shoulders are spread wide and the mouth of his helmet/jar reaches further down past the head hoop where the barrel is fatter.

As you can see in the photo, I can easily remove beeper's eye/head. I would love to swap it out with a servo head but my servo's pvc pipe is too large. I'll have to make another one to replace it with. Thanks for that suggestion, DaZero.

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 07:55:54 PM »
Originally, I thought the head was a vintage microphone but I've had no luck finding anything that resembled it whatsoever. So I have to give a HUGE thanks to Bob Bukoski for his help because I almost gave up on this project. Bob suggested that the head resembled an old slide viewer.

Once again Neil Bridges is WRONG!
"Watch out for snakes!"

DaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 08:40:57 AM »

As you can see in the photo, I can easily remove beeper's eye/head. I would love to swap it out with a servo head but my servo's pvc pipe is too large. I'll have to make another one to replace it with. Thanks for that suggestion, DaZero.
Glad to be of help!

Hey, since you've more or less solved the mystery of KTMA Beeper's/Servo's cone, that its 2 found & modified items rather 1 found item, that fact Joel just happened to have a orange cone tip when making KTMA Cambot's separate camera basically means you solved 2 parts mysteries for the price of 1.....Beeper!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:43:01 AM by DaZero »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »
It's nice to put this MST'ery to rest ;)