Author Topic: Wacky jaw  (Read 3464 times)

Gromilini

• View Profile
    • Email
Wacky jaw
« on: July 01, 2015, 12:51:59 AM »
I'm having trouble keeping Crow's jaw in a stable, up-and-down path. I'm using the leather hinge and elastic cord looped through two small holes in the "e" and two small holes in the lower pin, knotted on the inside. But when I pull the string to make his mouth open, the lower jaw often goes nutso--left, right, sometimes even tilting a little sideways. It's sheer luck if it manages to go back into place when closed. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but can't see how to fix it. Ideas, hints, suggestions welcome!

rashielx

• View Profile
Re: Wacky jaw
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »
For me it was all in spring placement. As long as it was centered on the top and bottom it closed right on. Sometimes if I was moving the jaw fast there was a tiny bit of shear.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 02:03:31 PM »
When Trace signed my Crow, he puppeteered it for a bit and remarked about how the mouth didn't always return to center position...

"That's 100% show accurate" he said ;)

Gromilini

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 01:10:00 AM »
I'm okay with being a little bit off--as you say, it is "100% screen-accurate." But mine is ridiculous. I'll check the placement of the elastic cord, to see if it's perfectly centered. Any other tips to keep that jaw non-wonky?

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 01:17:20 AM »
Post pictures.

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »
Michael, my Crow's mouth was like that for awhile and it bugged me a lot. It wasn't until I used part of the plastic base from one of those newer Carousel Snack dispensers, (the twist-off kind) which had tough bendable plastic. I screwed it in place, and increased slack on elastic cord.
"Watch out for snakes!"

Gromilini

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
Intriguing--I can't quite visualize what you did, though. Which part of the plastic base, and where did you screw it in place, exactly? Could you post pictures? I will try to do the same for mine, sometime this weekend. Thanks!

Gromilini

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 04:26:00 AM »
I figured out my problem--the leather I initially used as a hinge was really thin (maybe 1mm, if that). I got a MUCH thicker piece of leather (maybe 3mm), and now that jaw goes nowhere but up & down.

treadwell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 01:15:42 AM »
I broke down and used a teeny tiny hinge.

You loved "Jabber Jaw. You thrilled to "Wacky Races". Now Hanna-Barbera brings you the combination no one asked for: "Wacky Jaw"... coming to Saturday mornings this fall on NBC.