Author Topic: A few questions!  (Read 2984 times)

TravisH

• View Profile
A few questions!
« on: August 26, 2015, 06:28:26 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm finally putting together my Tom Servo and had a few misc questions...

1) I'm using original Seymore Butts doll arms, any advice on mounting them to the shoulder housings/barrel? I know repros would have been easier to work with, but I got the SB doll dirt-cheap years ago.

2) How do you guys mount the lazy susan turntable to the barrel? The instruction guides I've found skip that part. I assume the head is simply hot-glued to the lazy susan, judging from bloopers...

3) There are two sections of PVC pipe for Servo, right? 1/2" to attach to the PVC "T" in the head, and a 1" piece to attach to the barrel?

I know some of these seem a bit "duh," but I figured you guys would be the ones to ask. :D

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:19:08 AM by TravisH »

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A few questions!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
Ok Travis, first of all, It's spelled C'more Bunz. I used a lot of hot glue on my build, others on the forum have actually filled the arms with plaster and embedded the screws into the shoulders. I use large bolts to attach the shrouds to the barrel. The turntable you just screw to the top of the barrel with wood screws.

There's only one piece of pipe in Servo and it is 3/4 inch CPVC, not PVC, believe me there is a difference, and there's only one control rod that goes through the body, THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO GLUE A PIECE OF PVC into the barrel, it serves no purpose.

If you ask me, I'd include the Air Bladders line and pump to extend Servos arms. The best construction guide for Tom Servo is on Astro Reverb MSTies Domain.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:03:57 AM by 1984gojifan »
"Watch out for snakes!"

TravisH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 05:37:24 AM »
Thanks for the info!  :)

I'm definitely using the bladders since they're still in decent shape. I read the C'More springs sag overtime, but I'll worry about replacing them at a later point.

flobiwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 01:07:32 PM »
I used small screws to mount the lazy susan to the barrel.

Ron is correct.  The pipe just goes through holes in the barrel and the skirt and rotates freely so you can move the head.  On mine, there is nothing attaching the head to the top of the barrel.  This way i can just pull it out with the pipe attached for repairs.

For me, the hardest part of the whole project was painting the top part of the beak.  I sprayed it all silver then masked the beak and sprayed the top part red and it would bleed onto the beak.  So i'd mask the top part and respray the beak and the silver would bleed onto the red paint.  Rinsed and repeated for the longest time.  If you look closely on mine, you can see that the portion right above the beak is smoother and shinier than the rest of the neck from all the sanding and repainting.  In another post, Ron mentioned that he paints the beaks by hand.  I wish i had thought of that!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:19:55 PM by flobiwan »

TravisH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
I used small screws to mount the lazy susan to the barrel.

Ron is correct.  The pipe just goes through holes in the barrel and the skirt and rotates freely so you can move the head.  On mine, there is nothing attaching the head to the top of the barrel.  This way i can just pull it out with the pipe attached for repairs.

For me, the hardest part of the whole project was painting the top part of the beak.  I sprayed it all silver then masked the beak and sprayed the top part red and it would bleed onto the beak.  So i'd mask the top part and respray the beak and the silver would bleed onto the red paint.  Rinsed and repeated for the longest time.  If you look closely on mine, you can see that the portion right above the beak is smoother and shinier than the rest of the neck from all the sanding and repainting.  In another post, Ron mentioned that he paints the beaks by hand.  I wish i had thought of that!

I've had my gumball dispenser since 4th grade or so (I'm 29 now), back then I had crudely spraypainted the beak silver just to make it look like a Tom Servo head until I found other parts. All these years later, it took some effort to sand off! :D

So yeah, I'm planning on painting his mouth by hand with some silver enamel paint. How did anyone do bot building before the internet!?  ;)

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 02:59:33 PM »
I paint my beaks by hand, I've given up on painters tape and spray paint, If I ever have to build more Servo's for a web series that my brother and I gonna be working on eventually, then I'll continue to use Ron's method.
"Watch out for snakes!"