Author Topic: Crow has a problem. Down there.  (Read 2604 times)

Gromilini

• View Profile
    • Email
Crow has a problem. Down there.
« on: November 02, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
I feel like I have a pretty good handle on Crow's eye mechanism in his head, but I wonder if you all could share pictures, diagrams, concepts, etc. for how it all comes together...down there.

I'm wondering about specifics--how much pipe below the bottom Floralier? How does the "popsicle stick" mechanism work? Where exactly did you put it, and what's it made from? And, well...just about anything you'd care to pass on.

I'm very close to finishing my Art--this is really the last major hurdle. Share with me, won't you?

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info

Gromilini

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crow has a problem. Down there.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
Thanks, Ron--that thread and http://www.botbuilders.info/index.php?topic=232.0 have been helpful, but I still feel like this area could be covered in more detail. It's funny, as there are some very exhaustive, detailed pics of Crow's many different parts (neck, shoulders, pin, etc.), and how other members have done them. But his "business end"--arguably one of his most important and technically involved aspects--has so little. It's possible (probably, even) that I'm just being obtuse, but if anyone could share even a diagram (cross-section?), that would be great.

And what are the variations everyone has done? Does everyone use one hand to work the mouth and the other to turn head/move eyes? Are there other ways? Some of the pics on the http://sol.semo.edu/mst3k/botbuilding/Crow/ site are helpful, though a few are intriguing/baffling (see attachments).

Come one, gang--let's shine a light on Crow's...um, area.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 04:02:15 PM »
This is very close to how my Crow is configured...  I didn't put the mouth "lever" on the back, but the front part is pretty close:

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 10:37:37 AM »
Mike, really like builders have said "everyone has their own way of doing it."

But "if you're like me and I know I am..." What I do in cutting the CPVC is mount it in a Vice, and drill holes in a rectangular shape on both sides. you will have to reposition it hake it an even hole.

Now use a Linoleum knife to cut the CPVC out of the pipe. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE AN X-ACTO, RETRACTABLE UNTILITY KNIFE OR A BREAK-A-WAY KNIFE. The last one especially. I was cutting the CPVC with it in August and the blade broke and went into wrist, narrowly missing my Arteries. I had to get 2 stitches. You also drill a hole in the side of the CPVC for the screw to go in. You do both things the the same with the 1/2 inch CPVC Eye-rod.

If that grossed you out, I'm sorry, just don't use any of those 3, use a linoleum knife you can find it in your junk drawer organizer with your ketchup packets and shoehorn.   
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:45:22 AM by 1984gojifan »
"Watch out for snakes!"