Author Topic: KTMA Gypsy  (Read 17950 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
KTMA Gypsy
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:38:55 AM »
KTMA Gypsy (like her CC and Scifi era version) was made from child seat, with a few other odds and ends tacked on.

While this is not the exact seat used, it is the same style... just slightly smaller.

The "eye" is supposedly a flash light, but I've got my doubts.  KTMA Gypsy's paint job appears to be the same flat gold the KTMA Crow had.

KTMA Gypsy's body was reused when the show moved to cable's The Comedy Channel (later called C, then Comedy Central), and served as the Cambot for Season 1.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:56:32 AM by Ron »

Derek

• View Profile
Re: KTMA Gypsy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 12:30:37 PM »
I heard KTMA Gypsy's eye was a portable urinal:

I'm not sure the exact make and model that was used on the show, but this looks kinda close.

Lets hope Joel used a new one, and not one second hand... gross.

Looks like half of a clear plastic sphere is placed over the front of the urinal and fixed in place with a strip of electrical tape, and a green ping-pong ball is placed inside. And there you have it, KTMA Gypsy's eye.

-Derek
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 02:54:02 PM by Derek »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:40:31 AM »
This is a good bit of research...

I've been told by people "It's a flashlight."  And when I point out that they're thinking of the CC / Scfi era Gypsy... "Uh... well this is a flashlight too."

:|

Derek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:56:28 AM »
Thanks! Like I said, I'm not sure about the real make and model, and by now I'm sure it is loooooong out of production. The only option would be trying to locate a *shudder*... used one (yuck!). Another option for somebody who is savvy with such things, would be to buy a newer style one brand new, and modify it based on reference pics.

-Derek

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 06:09:17 PM »
Thanks! Like I said, I'm not sure about the real make and model, and by now I'm sure it is loooooong out of production. The only option would be trying to locate a *shudder*... used one (yuck!). Another option for somebody who is savvy with such things, would be to buy a newer style one brand new, and modify it based on reference pics.

-Derek

Modern portable urinals are made out of old milk cartons.... so meant to be completely disposable.

Mrtrainfreak12

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
As much as I might want to have one, KTMA Gyspy's voice is FREAKING CREEPY! I get J. Elvis Weinstein was inhaling to make her/his (this season really couldn't decide on a Gender nor a name) voice but *shudders* The result is VERY unsettling... Well at least I think it is..

Animes Frank

• View Profile
    • My YouTube site
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »
(this season really couldn't decide on a Gender nor a name)

"Gypsum!"
"There's gotta be a point where he stops ripping apart his clothing and finding stuff!"

jbl

• MSN Messenger - jbleavitt01@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • JackDaMan Productions
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 03:28:03 PM »
Im gonna make a wire base then cover it with duck tape
Jack.L

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 06:49:12 PM »
Nothing could be more in tune with the spirit of the show.  When you get your project rolling, please post pictures!

Mrtrainfreak12

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 06:30:30 AM »
Makes sense

(this season really couldn't decide on a Gender nor a name)

"Gypsum!"

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:50:09 AM »
Not sure how many people know this by now but this should be the most detailed post on the subject thus far. KTMA Gypsy is made from two seats by "Questor" called the "juvenile infanseat." As far as I know, it comes in two different versions, one that rocks and one that props. The only difference between these two versions is there being 5 vs. 6th rows of holes on the backrest (see photo)

Joel used the "6 row version" of the seat for both top and bottom jaws. However, since this detail is not easily visible for the bottom jaw, I decided to substitute it for a 5-row version. I believe that the 5-row version might be sturdier, but who am I kidding? It was the only one available on ebay at the time ;) Speaking of availability, I've noticed that this seat appears on ebay every 3-4 months on average. Most of them are in mint/near mint condition and run between $50-$120 per seat. Remember though, what defines these are the five vertical holes on the backrest and three elongated cuts on the left and right side seat portion. Try not to confuse it with other models like the "kiddie mate." I've found at least 4 other seats that look similar to it so be very careful if you're concerned about using the original Questor model.

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 07:59:16 AM »
As for the eye, I used a male urinal that has a straight handle. It's hard to describe what that means, but I bought a bunch of them and I finally found one that's similar to Joel's. I got the cornea from a vintage popping alligator toy. Here's the final product:

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »
This turns out amazing!

One small request though: For future reference, could you please post some closeups of the urinal and the eye?

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 03:12:36 PM »
Thanks Ron,

I used the urinal in the upper left hand corner and it's called "Duro Med Male Urinal UPC 041298050766." You can get it on ebay and amazon. While the urinal I chose is in no way an exact match to Joel's, there are similarities in the handles. The urinal in the upper right hand corner (Carex Male 32 Oz Urinal P707) is a good example of what to stay away from because it has two distinct handle features which the original gypsy's urinal did not have. First, the Carex has a stem that forms a 45 degree angle to the actual handle whereas the Duro med and original ktma gypsy only have the narrow lid notch in this region. Second, the Carex has finger impressions as a grip, and duro and ktma gypsy do not.

I obtained the front cornea from the alligator toy which fits almost perfectly around the urinal hole. It has discreet little clamp arms which help it to stay secure to the urinal's mouth. I'm not sure what the real name for it is, all I know is that it's from the 80's and it frequently pops up on ebay. As for the rear cornea, I used half of a 1980's muppet babies rattler all which fits perfectly on the inside. The green ball is the same one used to make ktma crow's eyes. Trying to keep it vintage, know what I mean?

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 07:17:04 PM »
closer pics