Author Topic: KTMA Gypsy  (Read 16156 times)

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: KTMA Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
more pics

shorty1k

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 04:50:01 AM »
I love that you made the base look like the old SOL's door. That was a nice touch. This thread is a treasuretrove of useful information. The ktma version's parts seems far far more attainable than the final purple version, plus I'd get to annoy my wife with raptor noises!

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 06:44:48 AM »
Thanks shorty! and yes, gypsies make great inanimate pets.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 10:27:14 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics!

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 08:19:23 AM »
No Problem Ron!

Another feature I forgot to discuss was the hinges. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to make these hinges because the original gypsy seems to have a wire wrapped around the jaw, probably a coat hanger. Also, you'll see that there are variations in the underbite from time to time.

Now, even though post ktma gypsy has a pvc pipe for a jaw, which makes it easy for the mouth to move freely without error, I still think ktma gypsy's jaw is easier to create. The hardest part is lining the seats up just right because they do not sit together very well. I would recommend that you use the three linear holes in the seat to line up the sides. For a normal underbite, I find that staggering by one  hole works best. Example: 1st hole on the top meets with the 2nd hole on the bottom, 2nd hole on the top meets with the 3rd hole on the bottom. etc. Once you've made your markings, try drilling under the curved lip to hide your screws. For the actual hinge, I just used a regular ol' strap-hinge from home depot and cut it down to the correct length. I also grinded down the edges of the hinge to make it as discreet as possible.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:00:19 AM by bryguytoofly »

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 11:00:54 AM »
Your KTMA Gypsy is AMAZING! at least there's hope that I can at least build him/her. ;)
"Watch out for snakes!"

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 05:50:29 PM »
A floating hinge is a good idea!

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 04:55:45 PM »
Infant seat on ebay. Great condition starting bid $20. 1 day left!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Baby-Infant-Seat-Carrier-Infanseat-1960-1970-Era-/301608618234

DaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 05:20:35 PM »
Begs the question, which is more helpful and/or ethical, where:

1) Everyone waiting until the last minute to bid, so it stays cheaper for the winner-

2 - or start bidding now, cranking up the price but also letting everyone know how much one is willing to spend on it, so people can bid accordingly, instead of some guessing really cheap and some really expensive, giving more info to judge its worth, but also removes the chance of people of getting cheaper for those on a budget, but also lets them know that ahead of time instead of waiting until the last day, giving them the option to give up early instead of anticipating for days.

I don't mean to get overly philsophical, but as I was orinigally going to ask everyone to bid last minute to keep it low, I started to ponder WHY so many will bid days in an advance, when someone will almost always big higher before the last day, thus pointlessly raising the price, at least as far as I can tell.

Basically I lean towards to 1) since people with a bigger pocket will always have a better chance of winning, while waiting till the last few minutes keeps it cheap enough for everyone, not to mention EVERYONE should know going into ebay it can get expensive, which can be applied to both options, so why not mitigate it to some degree by waiting to bid until the near end-

- but I can't imagine every single person in rapid bidding races are doing it for psychological "Mine! HAHAHAHA! oh, this was SO not worth the "glory" of beating the other guy, Buyers' Remorse!", so 2) is my guess at why it might be for some people.

Either way bid however you want, its your money after all :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:24:46 PM by DaZero »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 02:47:17 PM »

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 08:15:58 PM »
Did anybody here win this?

DaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 09:21:35 PM »
That would be me. And yeah, wowza indeed. Thing is, since last fall I've been looking for any of these, and I've seen like 4-5 of these things go for around $100, so I kinda got it cheapish.....

.......dot dot he says, until finding listings for other seats $30-$50ish from a couple months ago I missed somehow, so maybe it was a bad deal :p Maybe? I dont know now, 1 to 10 this for me? Heh, guess I got impatient after sitting on Crow parts for 17 years, and now Im probably going overboard on trying to find. anything bot related now that I finally want to start/finish projects :p
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:33:22 PM by DaZero »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 04:13:34 PM »
It seems like sometimes people just dogpile an auction, and other times stuff slips through the cracks.

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »
I have a extra one but it has some broken pieces. Not too visible if you use it as the lower jar. I'd only make you pay shipping. Interested?

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 04:06:35 PM »
I have a extra one but it has some broken pieces. Not too visible if you use it as the lower jar. I'd only make you pay shipping. Interested?
I'm Interested in buying it, I want a Gypsy, to put with The KTMA Crow and Servo that I'm gonna build down the road
"Watch out for snakes!"