Author Topic: My second bot build, Tom Servo!  (Read 2510 times)

DefenderDarko

• View Profile
My second bot build, Tom Servo!
« on: December 31, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »
***Crow is posted in the Crow builders forum

Hey guys, first post here. I've been lurking around for awhile...

I've been an obsessive MST3K fan since about 1994 and I always wanted a pair of the bots.
I'm actually a prop builder(mostly Ghostbusters stuff) and statue/figure maker guy, so I have plenty of tools and experience, just not with the bots.

For Christmas, my awesome wife bought me the Bob kits from ebay. Best Christmas ever! Despite having the flu, I went to work on the 26th and had them finished three days later. LONG HOURS.

I followed his guides mostly, but I added some of my own techniques(paint types, adhesives, etc).

TOM SERVO

Tom was my second robot to make. Tom is way easier to make than Crow. I'd say Crow's head alone is harder to make than Tom. Tom just fits together so much easier and his parts are simpler. Anyhow, he's pretty basic. I followed the directions and used the correct parts. The ony thing I added was a thick washer under the hover skirt to get a tighter connection so the head doesn't pop up withn you hold him by his rod, which he appreciates. The washer makes the head rotation smoother underneath, too.

The hardest part of Tom? Taping off the engine block. I ended up just brush painting the silver pistons. For any red parts that peeled off or bled behind the tape(his beak, some of the motor), I just sprayed a portion of the red metal flake in a small sample jar and thinned it with paint thinner. I then brushed basic red paint over the areas, and I then brushed over with with that sample of red metal flake I sprayed into the jar, keeping it thin with paint thinner so it didn't clump too much. I then hit it with a clear coat sealer, which caused the metal flake particles in the brushed areas to distribute properly and blend in with the can-sprayed application. It worked out perfectly.

The other hardest part was gluing the trains to his skirt. The skirt is a poly blend plastic and hates glue. I ended up sanding it lightly and spraying it white to give the trains something to grip.

After 20 years, here's Tom!

TravisH

• View Profile
Re: My second bot build, Tom Servo!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 05:52:35 AM »
Nice work!!!  ;D

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My second bot build, Tom Servo!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »