Author Topic: Crow wrists/hands upgraded! Sci-Fi era style wrist cuffs  (Read 2809 times)

DefenderDarko

• View Profile
Crow wrists/hands upgraded! Sci-Fi era style wrist cuffs
« on: January 08, 2016, 07:33:02 PM »
Hey guys, I just wanted to post this as an update.

First off, have any of you guys done this? In most of the Scifi episodes i've watched, Crow has a thick wrist and his hands sort of peg into it. His wrists joint part is actually about 1/4" wider than his elbow and shoulder and it seems to be balanced out with spacers.

I really liked the way it looked and I wanted Crow's wrists to turn.

To start off, I'm using Bob's awesome hand casts.

I started by shortening the wrist peg on Bob's cast and I then measured about half an inch up the larger part of the claw and used a rotary tool to smooth it down so it would fit into a 1.5" inch cut of a small pvc pipe. I spent some time sanding it by hand to make it smooth and even, then I started on the wrist piece, which was cut from some pvc drain pipe.

Once it fit and rotated smoothly, I stuck the pvc wrist piece on the handle of a fork(exactly the same size as the peg I shaved down on the back of the claw) and poured white resin in the opposite end, also about 1/4" deep. I did this to create a backstop for the wrist joint so I could tap it and run a screw through it. This is what allows the wrist to turn inside of the pvc wrist joint I made.

You can see in the photos below. After everything was done, I mounted it with screws and used some brass spacers to even out the width of the wrist joint. I also noticed that the brass finisher/spacers would be awesome for the outside of the arm joints for people who have scratchbuilt their flat joint pieces and may want a raised circle to run the screw through. Lowes carries a great brass finisher that is the perfect size.

Anyhow, one last thing I added was a rubber grommet between the collar and the top of the Floralier. I didn't like how the collar rubbed the paint off the top as the head/torso was turned, so I placed a rubber grommet there to stop it.

Anyhow, here's updated Crow!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:35:21 PM by DefenderDarko »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Crow wrists/hands upgraded! Sci-Fi era style wrist cuffs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 04:43:59 PM »
Wrist articulation...  nicely done!

DefenderDarko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 11:58:21 PM »
Thanks! Have any of you tried this mod or made the Trace style double bolted wrists?

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 04:01:34 PM »
I have not, nor have I seen anyone else with that style.

Aaron N.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
Is that 1/2 inch PVC you're using?

DefenderDarko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 10:48:44 PM »
Yeah, I used 1/2" CPVC, basically the same thing most people use for Crow's eye control rod.

The smaller wrist part of the common Crow hands will fit in it loosely, but you want the cuff to go up further on the wrist of the claw, so measure and sand the back of the claw so it fits in there slightly loose/snug(easy to rotate). Afterwards you need to cut the end of the claw shorter so there's room to run the wrist screw through there.

You will need a rotary tool to do this. Even a cheap $10 rotary from Harbor Freight will work fine.

Aaron N.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 08:26:58 PM »
Anyone give this a shot? I'd love to see more pics.

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
there was a short time where i thought the hands were forks.
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

MachoMachoBot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 10:44:59 PM »
Looks good man!