Author Topic: My Satellite of Love model!  (Read 1097 times)

DefenderDarko

• View Profile
My Satellite of Love model!
« on: January 13, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
Hey guys, I just completed my SOL this morning. It's about 20 inches long.

I started off by assembling four papercraft soccer balls. If any of you are familiar with Pepakura, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I then folded and printed the two large shafts that connect the four spheres(See how I averted that joke?)

Once they were glued together, I brushed the whole thing with polyester fiberglass resin. Afterwards, I did what BBI did. I just took random pieces of model kit parts from various cars and started gluing them to it. I added some wooden dowel rods for the central pipe, a candy machine container for the escape pod hatch, and the radar dish and various other parts come from a Call of Duty block builder set.

The whole thing was then painted over with dark gray Plasti-Dip to lock it all together and give it an even surface. It was then hit with some gray Tamiya primer and speckled with black. The final touch was the little window in front, which has a picture of Mike and the bots, as a reference to the Sci-Fi intro.

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Satellite of Love model!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:03:48 PM »
VERY NICE!

I'm thinking of going the time consuming Foam Core board and PVC pipe route
"Watch out for snakes!"

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 10:36:28 PM »
Very cool!

crowtrobotfan4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 11:58:33 PM »
I might make the same thing

rashielx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 05:18:21 PM »
I started work on one but each of the balls on the dog bone are about the size of a mini basketball. But I was making it I thought it probably be really cool to have a giant satellite, now that I've gotten it started and the balls are almost finished I've realized them going to have to scale up all of the stuff on the outside… What turned out to be a fun project became a labor of love, and now it's pretty much just like my wife.