Author Topic: Attaching hockey mask to bowling pin?  (Read 4418 times)

OB10

• View Profile
    • Email
Attaching hockey mask to bowling pin?
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:51:16 PM »
How do people do it?  Machine screw with a nut?  Bolt?  Pop rivet?  What size?  Do people just use one, or a few of them?  Inquiring minds want to know.   ;)

Aaron N.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Attaching hockey mask to bowling pin?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 10:18:09 AM »
There's a pic floating around of a screen-used Crow sporting a simple bolt, washer, nut combo on the face mask.

The question I always go back to is the placement. Is it bolted further back on the pin? Is it bolted closer to the curve of the pin?

And what about the mask itself? You can slide adjust the mask so that the cage sits higher or lower-- Which is more authentic to the screen-used bots?

Of course, the answer is that BBI used tons of different configurations over the years.

DefenderDarko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 10:54:13 PM »
Yeah, the answer is that all of it and none of it is 'accurate'. They never put that much thought into it. Crow was just a prop to be tossed around, busted up, and replaced as long as they got the shot for the host segment. They were hastily assembled most of the time. There are countless episodes where Crow is missing his rubber shoulder hoses and plenty of episodes where he has Lime Gold sprayed on his shoulder blocks(giving them a sort of clear gold cast). Like most props, high quality fan work usually far exceeds anything that was rapid prototyped for the shoot.

I prefer the basket to not quite touch the soap dish. I don't want the paint rubbing between them. There are plenty of show instances where the net touched the dish and plenty where it didn't. I also fasten mine with two wingnuts(Bob Bukoski kit), which stops it from rotating or anything. One warning...It's really tough to get that basket, eye dish, and bowling pin to all line up because they're all random parts never meant to interact and they sort of float, glued onto a PVC coupler. The show models always looked lopsided.

You can get them straight, though. I did so by putting two small brass washers on the bolts between the bowling pin and the basket. This gives the basket a more flat surface to press against, which helps it even out.

The show models were really inconsistent. Just pick what you like or pick one episode and focus on replicating that specific puppet in most aspects.

OB10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:13:46 PM »
Yeah, I've seen different looks to the whole combo.  Plus scenes where the mask fell off, probably accidentally but it looks like they just rolling cuz it was funny and they didn't want to fix and reshoot.  I'm a little concerned about mine because the mask I've got had a bunch of small cracks in it.  I've glued it up and I think it'll hold, but I don't want to put more pressure on areas that could break the cracks open again.  I dunno what plastic the mask is made from, but it seems like it's a plastic that wouldn't respond well to most glues.  I tried using super hot water, and also a heat gun, to try to make the plastic mate up better.  (I had stored it poorly, so it forced the cracked parts to not join as well as I wanted.)  Neither the hot water nor the heat gun did anything, and I didn't want to go too hot and melt the thing. 

I used The Last Glue (http://thelastglue.com/), and it seems like it's gonna do the job.  I saw it demoed at a car show, and it was pretty amazing.  It's similar to superglue (it has CA in it, but is apparently more closely related to dental adhesive).  It doesn't "dry" until it's deprived of air, and then it cures pretty much instantly.  There's a filler that can be dusted over it to deprive it of air or use as filler.  At the demo, the demo guy sliced a big rubber o-ring or belt, put glue on it, pressed it together, and it couldn't be pulled apart.  He also used it to patch and glue a bunch of the under the car hood reservoir containers; whatever plastic that is didn't seem like it'd be easily gluable, but this stuff did the trick.   :o  The stuff isn't cheap, but it looked like it'd be soooooo handy for some things, and I think I finally found the perfect first thing to use it on.  Well, I guess I did use it before.  I had some tennis shoes and some combat boots that had problems with the soles.  The tennis shoe rubber sole that I glued on fell off within a few days, and the cracks in the boot soles recracked after a few days, too.  The mask won't get flex like that, so hopefully it'll hold it together.

So I guess I'll just pick a nice stylin' bolt/washer/nut set and find a good location for the holes.  I was thinking that I'd probably use 2 or 4 bolts, and that would maybe put too much pressure on things and break the seams.  But with one, it should be fine, I think.  I still have to sand the filler smooth, but I don't think that'll be too tough.

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 05:16:25 PM »
I use flat head screws and washers, they're fastened with plastic wing nuts. I prefer to have Crow's face guard to be closer to the soap dish but not touching it.
"Watch out for snakes!"

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
I've always gone in the 3 or 4 bolt route...  arranged in a triangle... seems to translate into less side to slide "slop," but it's likely overkill.

OB10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 11:45:09 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, guys!  Very cool!  I hadn't found any useful pics like those around before.  Well, I guess I probably will go for the multiple screw idea.  I've been kinda concerned about strength and mask flopping, too.

1984gojifan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 07:46:01 PM »
I've always gone in the 3 or 4 bolt route...  arranged in a triangle... seems to translate into less side to slide "slop," but it's likely overkill.

Ron that is overkill
"Watch out for snakes!"

treadwell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 12:21:35 AM »
I have a machine screw and nut/washer as Glover-booklet instructed, but found it wobbly so I added two pop rivets. That did the trick, it ain't goin' nowhere. I also have it butted against the soap dish, that also adds a little support.

katsu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 02:16:46 AM »
I have been holding off on mounting my mask.

1) Worried about how to keep two round shapes held against each other without putting a lot of strain on the mount points.

2) Not sure if I should use my cast or original pin. The original looks and sounds nicer (clack clack clack), but the cast feels like it'd support the weight better.

And a coworker suggested using rivets but I worry about the pressure on those things shattering something. If it's working for you I should maybe give it a go.. Anyone ever put a rubber washer between the two pieces to even out the pressure or am I overthinking it?

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »
Lowes (and other home improvement stores) sell nylon washers that you could put between the net and the pin (if you don't like the idea of them being right up against each other).

1984gojifan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 07:45:13 PM »
Katsu, the Cast is also brittle though.
"Watch out for snakes!"

katsu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »
Would it be unthinkable to reinforce a regular pin? I heard they sag and snap over time from the weight of the mask.

I want to do what will last me the longest and give the most peace of mind.