Author Topic: Painting Crow  (Read 1117 times)

phil_c42

• View Profile
    • Email
Painting Crow
« on: September 24, 2016, 03:20:42 PM »
I know this has been discussed, but I am currently painting my Crow and am losing heart with painting him. I put a flat black base coat down and have put several coats of the lime gold on top but it still looks dark. I thought about putting a base coat of plain gold on first, but was only able to find metallic gold spray paints that are just as thin and runny as the Testors paint. Should I just keep putting on coat after coat of the lime green?

treadwell

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Painting Crow
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 12:02:15 AM »
Yes. With each coat, the base coat matters less. Using gold is a means of minimizing the number of Testors coats needed, but that ship has sailed.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 07:11:14 PM »
My advice would be to not use black as a primer coat... it just means you have to use more Testors later to get the sheen up, which if you don't leave adequate drying time, means lots and lots of tears later. 

You can always strip off the paint you've got on there, and redo it if you want... the Floralier plastic is so "oily" that it's a pretty easy task.

More reading:

http://www.botbuilders.info/index.php?topic=26.msg41#msg41

phil_c42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 03:07:44 PM »
Thanks. I actually did just that; I stripped away the black and started over using a plain gold as a base coat. It's working much better. I was going off of the instructions from the old Joe Crow website the first time.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »
Yeah... those Joe Crow instructions aren't so hot.