Author Topic: My Servo Build - the Photo-Novel  (Read 967 times)

DRB

• View Profile
My Servo Build - the Photo-Novel
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:19:43 AM »
So I got him started - slow going here; I don't have the work space I did a few years ago and lots of tools are in storage.  But his head is done.

The "sledge_riprock" kit is great - everything you need is included and the casting is first-rate.  I've only had to make one adjustment to the parts right out of the box, so far.

The kit includes a recent Snack Dispenser (on the right) - I'm using an older run that I bought on Amazon for ten dollars a little while ago; the jaw action is a bit smoother.

Tom seems to be into a whole weird area here.  I don't judge.

The kit Dispenser had the twist-off dome; I took the older one off with a coping saw.

Upper jaw was glued in place; I cut it loose with a jeweler's saw.

Here's the one adjustment I've made:  the jaw spring rubbed against the cut-away groove of the T-pipe.  I drilled and cut away some additional material where the black marked area is here, and now the jaw moves freely.

The string included with the kit is almost like wire; I guess fishing line of some kind?  Anyway, it seems really strong - high quality.  I put a drop of glue on the knots.

My experience with hot glue has not been reliable, so I used epoxy.  That was a mistake - it gets all over everything no matter what I do, so there was glue on the string and glue on the inner PVD sleeve and CD storage spindle  that I used (per the Gary Glover YouTube video) to align the T-pipe.  So I had to clean and fuss and worry at those bits during the adhesive curing to keep them from getting stuck.

But here he is.  I think I'll go ahead and primer the head next before moving on to the arm and torso assembly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:23:39 AM by DRB »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: My Servo Build - the Photo-Novel
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:34:31 PM »
Looking forward to future updates!

DRB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:36:34 AM »
Thanks!

So, a digression:  I've read a good deal here and in other places on the web about the difficulty of working with the Testors Metal Flake paints - the running, clogging, etc.

I have a preference for automotive lacquers out of rattle cans, so I decided to see if I could get close to the Testors color using a Duplicolor red metal flake.  Since I'm using the Rustoleum Colonial Red as a base/primer paint, that introduces the problem of painting lacquer over enamel.

So I did a test:

Didn't run into a real problem with crazing or melting of the enamel coat, but the lacquer comes out less glossy and therefore darker.  So I'd have to do an additional clear coat, which is probably not worth the trouble - particularly given that I didn't really find applying light coats of the Testors paint over a red base to be all that difficult.

Conclusion:  Overthinking, much?   ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:49:04 AM by DRB »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:34 PM »
My advice is to use a base coat of "colonial red," and then about a thousand thin coats of the Testors.

DRB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 10:45:12 AM »
Thanks.  Another small question - is it best to prime and paint the silver beak interior rim by hand as well as the black inner mouth?  The spring holds Tom's beak shut  pretty tightly on my snack dispenser, and it's hard to see manipulating or holding that piece open somehow during the spray painting.

treadwell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
Remove the spring during your painting. You can remove the upper beak by sliding it up, so that helps.
I used masking tape, but you have to hand-snip a hundred little curved pieces, which is barrels o' fun.

Interesting test, thanks for sharing!

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »
Looks good so far!
"Watch out for snakes!"

DRB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 06:23:54 PM »
Started painting the cap and the engine block today, using Duplicolor adhesion promoter to prime the block...the resin really doesn't like paint.

A question - how stiff ought the action on the mouth apparatus to be?  Using the spring that came with the Dispenser, and it moves freely but takes quite a hard tug and the spring makes rather a loud squeak.

1984gojifan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 07:57:20 PM »
Use some WB 40, It's Crow's favorite lubricant.

That hushed my servo's spring up.

I look forward to seeing your process.  :)
"Watch out for snakes!"

DRB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion - I was thinking about stretching the spring out s-l--i-g-h-t-l-y so it's not so stiff, but still closes - I've got a couple of extra, so not a big risk.  But the oil sounds better.

DRB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »
Okay, so these guys just need one more coat.

The Metal Flake really is a pretty color and I'm glad I stuck with it.  Given the forewarning and advice here and on Youtube videos it wasn't really that difficult to work with.

1984gojifan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
The paint job looks great!
"Watch out for snakes!"

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email