Author Topic: Crow arms  (Read 172 times)

mikeh1982

• View Profile
Crow arms
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:02:46 AM »
I have everything I need to start building Crow, except his arms. It looks like someone on eBay is maintaining a store, but the arms look to be just wooden dowel rods. Is there a good readily available source? replica or not.

Also, what about this on Amazon? Has anyone ever used these for the arms?

https://www.amazon.com/Alvin-G2540-B-Swing-Lamp-Black/dp/B001DKFKB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423445188&sr=8-1&keywords=alvin%2Bdesk%2Blamp&th=1&psc=1

mikeh1982

• View Profile
Re: Crow arms
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 06:54:27 AM »
To clarify, I think the wooden arms look fine but was hoping to get some opinions on that vs plastruct vs the actual lamp in the link I posted.

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 02:37:17 PM »
I bought one of those lamps for one of my Crow's arms, the other I got at a Garage sale. I salvaged the joints for my first Crow, I then replaced the cast resin joints in the elbow and below the shoulder. 

The ebay store is run by fellow forum member and bot builder, Bob Bukoski (Sledge Riprock). Almost all of my bot parts have come from him. He did sell at one point metal crow arms. I don't know why they're not listed now..
"Watch out for snakes!"

mikeh1982

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:24:25 PM »
Would you recommend those lamps for his arms? Or are replica parts better to work with?

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:41:07 PM »
It really depends. One thing is that the Wrist joints on the lamp are no good. You have to scratch-make them. When I get around to building another Crow, I'll buy a pair of metal Arms that I'm sure Bob still has. Shoot him an email.

In addition there's certain details of Crow and his arms that I prefer to have. Which requires parts from real desk lamps.

The first picture was taken during season 4, I based my Crow off of this picture.

I chose to include this triangular knob from the Desk lamps. (see picture 2)

You'll also have to cut the arms down to size, (be sure to have a Hacksaw with a new blade)

3 of the rods cut down to 9 3/4 inches. The final rod, (the outer rear one) is slightly longer. Roughly 10 inches.

You need the longer piece for the arms to fold up evenly.

Hopefully this helps.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:46:25 PM by 1984gojifan »
"Watch out for snakes!"

fkane123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
I ended up using 3/8" square plastruct on my second Crow, as described at http://www.joecrow.com/cbn.htm together with Sledge Riprock's joints.

The metal arm pieces I used before were long, heavy, and unwieldy. But it's probably more faithful to early-season Crows.