Author Topic: Waverly  (Read 18685 times)

treadwell

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waverly
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 01:11:44 AM »
Yes I know, what I was wondering is if that "Joel's Basement" gallery are some of those very same pieces.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »
Yes I know, what I was wondering is if that "Joel's Basement" gallery are some of those very same pieces.

The bottom few are.  The photo looks pretty old, and those bots appear a bit less polished than the ones Joel has created more recently (which are the majority of the ones seen in this topic).  I wonder if he has any more photos from the 1980's of his original "Props" bots?  I'd love to see 'em!

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 09:25:04 AM »
Oops, forgot the link to the topic I was talking about:

http://www.botbuilders.info/index.php?topic=181.0

The bottom three pictures are vintage.  Everything else above it is more recently made!  ;)

treadwell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 11:31:53 PM »
Thanks!

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 09:25:06 PM »
No problem, man!  ;)

Count me in on the excitement for this build!  As a Kickstarter backer, I (and many of you fine folk!) followed along with the design process for Waverly for over a year, seeing how one of Joel's Basement Bots went through cardboard prototyping, 3D scanning, printing, painting, and even naming!  I feel very personally invested in the little guy.  I even got to meet him in person, at the Chicago screening!  He and my Tom Servo had a little "in character" conversation in the line outside the theater!  It was awesome.  ;D

I'd be lying if I said this thread hasn't inspired me to do a little investigating into building my own Waverly.  The chances are slim (and there are tons of people on this site FAR better at part identification than I am), but if I happen to make some kind of breakthrough discovery regarding that mysterious body and belt buckle, you guys will be the first to know!

Good luck on your build!  SHARE PICTURES!!!!

EDIT: Here's a really grainy photo of Grant, Waverly, and my suited Servo conversing at the Chicago premier:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:25:55 PM by Danzilla93 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 07:24:14 PM »
I think I MAY have solved the MSTory of Waverly's shoulders.  I'm currently holding a piece that's closer than anything I've seen yet.  I'll post again soon with more info and pictures.

Smits

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 02:25:14 PM »
I think I MAY have solved the MSTory of Waverly's shoulders.  I'm currently holding a piece that's closer than anything I've seen yet.  I'll post again soon with more info and pictures.

Sweeet!  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of your meetup. :D  That is fantastic!

Whatever you've got, you know we'll be interested to see.  Right now, FastBilly1 has some of the parts for mine and we've discovered that a shift boot seems to take paint really well.  Color me surprised.  It's the best we could figure out for a body, but it's close enough for me to be happy right now.  Upgrades no doubt will happen as parts are ID'd by everyone.

I think I may have to customize the little guy's head. Parts were ordered that were the perfect shape....aaaannnnd totally the wrong size.  If anyone knows where we can find an embiggening ray, that'd be kinda neat.
"Hey! How 'bout a little sugar for Crow, huh?"

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 02:34:51 PM »
Thanks Smits!  I can't wait to see your progress!  The shift boot taking paint is unexpected and excellent news!  Might just have to order one...

Anyway, here's what I think I discovered about the shoulder.  If you look at the photo of the I assembled Waverly on the previous page, you'll see that they have a weird curvature to them.  One side is rounded, and the other side starts as rounded and then becomes flat as it joins to the tower part of the castle.  I've searched through hundreds of Sandcastle molds online and haven't found anything that looks 100% like this piece.  I tried looking for the a part that more closely resembled the one used on Joel's basement bot version of Waverly, but again, nothing doing.

Then, this last Wednesday, I was in Hobby Lobby and discovered a sand toy set (the first picture) that had something in it that caught my eye.  Check out the pictures below...

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »
Here's what I think is going on...

All the parts for Waverly were 3D printed versions of found objects, not the objects themselves.  This allowed alterations to be made in certain places to the parts.  I think the green shoulder piece I found is the original Waverly shoulder piece, but it was altered in the computer to better fit the bot.  If you look at the disassemble picture on the last page, it's essentially this piece with most of one of the curved walls missing.  I sat on the floor of Hobby Lobby for 20 minutes comparing images of the Basement Bot, the unassebled and finished Waverly, and this green piece.  Aside from the missing wall, they are identical.

In fact, it's possible Joel used this unaltered piece for the Basement Bot, but the angle of the pictures hides the curved wall.  The images below show how the second wall can be hidden if the angle is right.

Long story short:  if we want to build Waverly, then we will either have to hope the altered shoulder pieces make their way into fan hands somehow, or alterations will have to be made to these sandcastle pieces in order to make two shoulders.  It's possible to do, but it involves extra steps, for sure.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »
Okay, one more post and then I'll shut up.  ;)

I just found confirmation that the curved piece I found is what Joel used on the basement bot.  Look at the image of the bot's shoulder below: you can see the curve, and can count 4 little nubs on the inner part closer to the head.  This matches my part exactly, and if you look at the 3D printed shoulder on the final Waverly, the inner bit only has two nubs, because the second wall containing the second two nubs has been removed.

So, I suppose this means that it'll be easier to make "Basement Bot Waverly" than it will be to make "Screen Used Waverly", but, like I said above, it's not impossible.  It'll just require som extra fabrication!

PuppetGarage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »
Here are a few more pics that I thought might be helpful in your quest.

Waverly

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 09:38:07 PM »

How dare you! Can't a robot have some privacy?!

Smits

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 08:32:06 AM »

How dare you! Can't a robot have some privacy?!

Welcome to the Internet, small 'bot!

We're just gonna put that arm into the Genesis Tank riiiiiight off-screen.

Smits

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017, 08:48:55 AM »
Holy beez, Danzilla--That is a great find. I might have to make a HobSlob run after work.  I'm not worried about extra steps--Those always seem to come up for me anyway!  I am so excited about this. :D  I've got to wrap my head around the mouth mech worst of all. I know it's a rod puppet mech, which is simple, but my brain hasn't let that knowledge in yet.

And bless you, Puppet Garage.  SO MUCH. You're awesome for helping like that. (Really, I so appreciate this.)

M. Waverly: On screen 20 seconds, forever in our hearts. And now on our work benches.

...hashtag cute orange space nugget