Author Topic: Waverly  (Read 1875 times)

fastbilly1

• View Profile
Waverly
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »

If somehow you did not see any of the new show promos there is a new bot.  Shown a couple times at meet and greets, Waverly is another found object puppet that was promoted from Joels Basement bots:

As you can see the shoulders and arms have changed since the basement bot.

I have figured out the bulk of the parts:
Head - child watering can with the sprinkler removed and placed on top:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHLQ5FA/

Shoulders - Sandcastle wall mold (close enough that I can add a part and re mold it):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ICXMIC/

Mouth - Sandcastle mold:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GIUNNY0/

Arms - Infant slider toy pieces - I will fab out of wood
Rods for arms - Welding Rods (already use those on my rod and arm puppets)
Hands - Doll hands of some kind, I have someone looking into that for me.
His mouth operates on an actuator, just like the new Servo and Crow.

Body is the mystery piece.  My best guess is a square gear shifter:
https://www.amazon.com/1999-2011-Kenworth-Replacement-Rubber-Shifter/dp/B008GNOF1I/
But that does not account for the base with the "beltbuckle" like piece.  For a convention next month I may fabricate it out of styrofoam, but I want to find the right piece.  Any ideas?  I am ok in not having the correct sandcastle parts (there is not a database of them and they are seasonal low end pieces that apparently change every few years), but the body is kind of important.  The yellow in the basement bot makes me think it is a flashlight or a child toy but I cannot find anything that is that shape.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:40:16 AM by fastbilly1 »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Waverly
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 01:35:14 AM »
Your pictures appear to be missing.

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 11:59:08 AM »
Fixed...Google Albums has its moments. 

Two of the parts came in the mail, and in one of the boxes was a close enough head for a prototype:

So a quick paint job and some dremel work:

The cutting up some foam for a mockup:

Asking a friend in the automotive industry, he believes the body is a shifter boot from a mid 70s ford truck.  But after building the styrofoam version, the hole will have to be closer to the front, than in the middle.  So I still looking for the body.  The arms are the balls from ball bungies cords and random pvc on bungie cord.  They PVC is too small and narrow, but I am convinced that is how they made the arm. 

Paint is Rustoleum Sennia Mist Metallic.  It is too red for the final, but it should be a good primer.  I imagine the actual color is a Testors, like the rest of the bots.

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 12:38:49 PM »
After watching the Loves of Hercules (episode eight), I got the shoulders wrong.  The shoulders are still in two pieces:

Hands are smaller than Servos.

Smits

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:57:44 AM »
Google Pics broke on that last one. :/  But I'm liking the progress so far!

I've only gotten up to ep five so far (too much going on), but I am excited about this build. Waverly is the cutest thing.

I'm sure there's a shift boot that will work.  Still holding onto the possibility that it's vac-formed around an original boot cos those would be way too flexible to hold their shape during operation, plus the paint might stick too well on that rubber.

Wish I could figure out his belt buckle.  Haven't had an epiphany yet, sadly.
"Hey! How 'bout a little sugar for Crow, huh?"

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »
Any updates?

Body looks like possibly flexible downspout guttering?

LukeThreepwood

• Dill is a good spice! I will not have it maligned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 07:24:24 AM »
Considering that the chipped paint on the body shows bright yellow plastic underneath with a definite top, I'm willing to bet money it's from some toy Joel found at a thrift store.
Yes, these river bottoms...

PuppetGarage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »
Hello,  here is Waverly in pieces, after paint before assemble.  The gray hand in the photo was the original one we didn't end up using for the bot.

I hope this helps

MachoMachoBot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
That is awesome. Looking forward to seeing the finished build. 

PuppetGarage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »
here is the assembled arm.

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »
Thanks for the posts Puppet Garage.  This confirms the smaller sandcastle pieces, how the top of the jaw connects, and that the body and hands are still a mystery (and thought I would love to pump you for info on it, I figure you had to sign an NDA so I wont put you in an awkward situation). 

Turns out that Smits is one of my wife's friends, who had her fanart retweeted by the cast over the weeknd.  So to celebrate she came over last night with a shifter boot cover and larger sandcastle parts.  So I have a bootcover filled with expanding foam and waiting for paint, that will work for her larger scale Waverly.

I tried the downspout Ron, it wasnt large enough.  It is also usually rectangle, not square.  I am going to keep searching for the correct part, Ill find it eventually.  I still have hopes it is some sort of 6v flashlight casing (like Gypsy Eyes).  Hopefully itll take less time than the Air Purifier for the desk console.  Though after spending three weeks going through various toy and industrial websites, google thinks I am insane.

Smits and I are spitballed fleece and foam versions of Crow and Tom for conventions (ala Muppets) so Waverly may be on hold until that happens.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:28:55 PM by fastbilly1 »

Smits

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »
I saw that last photo and could only think "YEAH, THERE'S HIS ARM!" as it flings across the screen.

Thank you for posting those!!  I really appreciate it.  It helps loads since Fastbilly1 and I are still brainstorming over Waverly. <3  I feel like we're pretty darn close, at least.  For certain parts, like his shoulders, I may have to sculpt something first and see if that works, if we can't track down those pieces. I am ridiculously excited about this build.

I'm not ashamed to admit I was totally smitten with the new little guy at the press conference. :D  He and Growler are pieces of art.

FB1, I'm still thinking on the foam/fleece versions of Tom and Crow.  If I can get ideas out of my head and into practice, I'll let you know (and maybe start a thread here? We'll see.).

(Sidenote: My Twitter is still going nuts and that is NOT a complaint. I'm glad I feel like making art again finally and people like it.)
"Hey! How 'bout a little sugar for Crow, huh?"

treadwell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 12:10:12 AM »
I could never ascertain the context of the Joel's Basement photos. Are those bots he made for sale at that consignment store in Minneapolis way back in the day?

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »
Cool!
"Watch out for snakes!"

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »
I could never ascertain the context of the Joel's Basement photos. Are those bots he made for sale at that consignment store in Minneapolis way back in the day?

When Joel came back to Minneapolis from L.A., he made a little money on the side selling "found object" sculptures to a magic shop named "Props."