Author Topic: Waverly  (Read 25262 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Waverly
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »
Consistently impressed with our little community!

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2017, 03:23:38 PM »
I am surprised the site did not blow up with the new season. 

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
I am surprised the site did not blow up with the new season. 

I am as well.  But I honestly think that will come in time. ;D MST3K speaks to creative people, to the tinkerers of the world.  It's always, at least to me, been an invitation to build and create in the great tradition of "DIY", an invitation saying "you can do this too".  In good time, the new MSTies who are just now discovering the show will find that it inspires them to do what we've been doing since being inspired by the original episodes.  The first bot/prop replicas didn't appear overnight after Invaders from the Deep in 1988, but they did eventually come.

I think there are going to be a lot of Crow and Tom clones running around here on Earth before too long. ;)

And Waverly, of course!

And those new fans will find their way here.  It's just a matter of time!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2017, 09:50:08 AM »
This site has always been sort of a slow burn... "The right people get it."

There's less incentive to build your own these days since anyone with the cash can get a high quality build from Bob Bukoski.  Should Bob exit the market, they'll be the usual uptick of folks looking to build their own.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2017, 12:06:18 PM »
There's less incentive to build your own these days since anyone with the cash can get a high quality build from Bob Bukoski.  Should Bob exit the market, they'll be the usual uptick of folks looking to build their own.

That's a good point.  Certainly nothing against Bob, of course, but it is certainly easier to let an expert do the hard work!  I should know, I have one of his amazing Crow's.

That's why I've become so involved with this Waverly thread; there are no parts being sold as copies, no completed replicas, or any confirmation as to what several of the parts even are.  It's a treasure hunt for the love of a TV show, and I LOVE that.  I never got the chance to participate in this treasure hunt back in the 90's, so it's a chance to experience what those original bot builders did "in the good ol' days".  Part identification, figuring out how to get those parts, solving the problems of assembly and painting... it's really a blast!  ;D

Speaking of which, I should be receiving Waverly's mouth in the mail tomorrow, so I'll be able to start assembling the head!  Expect pics!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:39:25 PM by Danzilla93 »

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »
Good point Ron.  I bought parts from Bob because you cant find them.  I built a Tom and a Crow from kits he sold, and built them from scrounging.  Sure I could have bought a Kit from Bob for my personal Crow, but what would I do with all those parts I took 20 years tracking down...  Though now you would have more trouble finding Crows paint in a rattlecan than most of his parts.

Dan, we will figure out all of the parts.  But if the hands are truly from a Team America marionette then we will have to find a close enough replacement.  When I first tried to build a Servo, oh 1994, I had a xerox of The Official Bot Building Guide.  That made things much easier, but it still took me years to get all his parts and enough of his paint.

I have a road trip this Saturday where I will be hitting up every fleamarket, thrift store, and garage sale I see enroute.  We will figure it out and then detail the parts.  Once she is done with her backlog, I was going to ask Smits to do drawings where we can detail each part, like in a technical manual.  But then again she keeps drawing stuff that Jonah retweets so that backlog is not going down.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2017, 05:36:20 PM »
Dan, we will figure out all of the parts.  But if the hands are truly from a Team America marionette then we will have to find a close enough replacement.

I have every bit of faith that we will ID all of those parts eventually!  Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, can stop a determined MSTie.  ;)

But yeah, that Team America thing is a sticky wicket, so to speak.  After that image was posted, I did a few google searches, desperately hoping that what they used was from an action figure/toy or market reproduction of some kind, and not copies of the actual hands from the marionette.  I haven't seen anything like that.  It'll have to remain a part that is substituted until, much like Servo's engine block, a copy is made of the original, or some skilled sculpter fabricates duplicates.

Or, we can start praying that the Kickstarter "Mystery Gift" is a replica of Waverly's discarded arm that gets flung onto the desk...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:37:53 PM by Danzilla93 »

Smits

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2017, 09:27:37 AM »
This thread is currently my absolute favorite thing in the internet.

Totally mine too. :D

Sorry I've been quiet lately, I've been busy. :(  I'm hoping to visit FB1 and his wife over the upcoming holiday, so there will be bot discussion and maybe more pictures. I've got to get more parts over to him.  I've got his mouth (beak?) and a potential shoulder piece. That's something.

I've got more links to go through! Thank you, Danzilla!  Waverly's head is a tricky thing. I ended up getting a couple of cheap flowerpots earlier this week to maybe heat mold foam to and work from there, but maybe we won't have to do that. Hmm.

This is the shift boot I ended up getting for Waverly's body.  It looks close enough to me until we find something better/closer/what the heck IS it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PZC4A2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Something could probably also be fashioned out of pink/green foam or wood, then vac formed, but I don't think we've got that capability yet, at least not on a large scale.

I swear to Reptilicus Metallicus, I will sculpt similar-as-I-can-get hands.  I believe Scott Land is responsible for those particular marionettes, but as far as I can tell, he's not selling any puppet kits. (You guys are having a BLAST, aren't you? :D You're my kind of people.)

I'm just really happy that other people like M. Waverly as much as I do. This is so encouraging. <3

(Now if I can just get caught up on everything. I'm trying.)
"Hey! How 'bout a little sugar for Crow, huh?"

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2017, 09:49:26 AM »
Didn't Chiodo Bros. Productions have some involvement with the creation of the 'Team America' marionettes?

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2017, 09:50:33 AM »
Also:

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »
One crazy hard to find mystery part at a time Ron.  Comeon.

If you look at the picture Puppet Garage posted a couple pages ago:

That belt buckle like part sticks out atleast a few mm.  Id wager the ribbed part of the body is one part, the black base and the belt buckle are another.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »
That belt buckle like part sticks out atleast a few mm.  Id wager the ribbed part of the body is one part, the black base and the belt buckle are another.

That's exactly what I'm starting to think too.  The question is, just what the ding dong HECK IS IT?!?!

If it's really a separate part, it could literally be from anything.  Maybe part of a toyset, or a spaceship?  Could it be part of a toy gun, like a Nerf gun or something?

On a somewhat related note, Amazon sent me the wrong sandcastle mold for the mouth.  Oops.  So the wait for my Waverly head continues...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:18:04 PM by Danzilla93 »

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2017, 10:39:46 AM »
No luck at any fleamarket, thriftstore, or pawnshop.  Nothing that fit the mark of the little guys body. 

So Smits came over yesterday to watch our hockey team embarrass themselves and work on jumbo Waverly.  While she does not have a correct head yet, we have a flower planter that will work until we can find it.  But when I was painting the parts, my wife busted into the workshop with a breakthrough, she found a missing piece of Waverly:

His voice!

And let me tell you, Waverly does not like Cylons.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:46:53 AM by fastbilly1 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »
That's hilarious!  ;D

I really need to check that album out...

You're jumbo Waverly is looking good!  Is that the same shifter boot from a few pages ago?  It looks bigger.  Keep it up!

While I'm here, I'm expecting the CORRECT mouth from Amazon after they sent me the wrong one last week.  I can't wait to hack it up and, hopefully, get a fully articulated Waverly head assembled!  Those pictures from our "friend on the inside" (bless that guy) have been invaluable in terms of seeing how the mouth was cut to acomidate the PVC rod, and where the mouth hinge is.  Hopefully I can get a pretty close version done soon!

Now to figure out that darn body/belt buckle debocle...  ;)

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2017, 01:24:01 PM »
New image surface recently:

Which shows the butt and the bottom of Waverly.  This only makes that beltbuckle part more curious.  It has a bump on the back.

This leads me to think that we may be off on the Waverly head size.  He seems to be about the same size as Servo (atleast Torso wise).   
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:31:05 PM by fastbilly1 »