Author Topic: Waverly  (Read 20616 times)

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waverly
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2017, 09:16:27 PM »
Dear God, WHAT IS THIS THING?!?!?!?!

The plot is thickening.  What the heck is that on the back of Waverly's black bottom? (Wow, there's a "context is everything" scentence...) It almost looks like a spot where a power cable would plug in.  If the black section is part of the orange body, it might mean it was an electronic toy of some kind.  If it's a separate part, well... it could be anything.

On the subject of scale, it'll be hard to tell until a finished fan version is at least partially completed, but getting the size right might not be possible without copies of the original parts.  Remember, these parts are 3D printed versions of the original parts, and Joel mentioned in a Kickstarter update that the original plan was to create a final Waverly that was sized halfway between the 12 inch Basement Bot maquette and that awesome cardboard mockup.

That might account for the larger size we are seeing.  If that's the case, any replica using the original parts will be smaller than the screen used version.

But that shouldn't stop us!  ;)

Waverly

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2017, 06:01:20 PM »
But when I was painting the parts, my wife busted into the workshop with a breakthrough, she found a missing piece of Waverly: His voice!

Ha!  Love that you have CHROME!  I'm flattered!

Waverly

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »

I was in an ice cream shop the other day and they had those little hands that you slip on your fingers.  They had some 'Glow in the Dark" hands and, to me, they looked about the right size for Waverly hands, maybe a hair smaller but close.

https://mcphee.com/products/glow-in-the-dark-finger-hands

Waverly

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »

Also, was looking at this picture that shows the 'thing' on Waverly's butt and you can see it's circular.  Wondering if the body is an air mattress foot pump.  Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Plastic-Bellows-Foot-Pump/dp/B00EBXABBA

But a square version.  Or maybe they tweaked it before 3D printing it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:57:31 PM by Waverly »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2017, 11:43:04 PM »
*head explodes from awesomeness*

Gra... *ahem*, Waverly, you are the MAN!  ;D

Those hands are pretty stinking close.  I might have to order a set...

And woah.  The foot pump thing might just be a breakthrough.  Since the shape of Waverly's final body and the found object maquette body are seemingly identical shape wise, it doesn't look like a lot was changed when it was 3D printed.  So we may need to start looking for a pump with the exact look of the body!  Also, the object used for the maquette version was yellow under the paint, and even though the pump in your link isn't quite the right shape, it IS yellow, so we may be on the right track!

Again, thank you so much!  It's really awesome having Waverly himself helping us out and cheering us on!  ;D

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2017, 11:54:41 PM »
I haven't spotted anything that matches 100% yet, but I'm seeing things that are pretty close, and could, if nothing else, make nice placeholder bodies until the correct part is identified.  Look how close this one is:

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2017, 03:40:52 PM »
Most pumps have ingress and egress valves, so it would have likely have two.  But it jogged my memory for a unknown 90s toy that used pressure pumps to propel them and many were scifi themed:

That is from Hotwheels Streex line.  Which was my personal favorite and what gave me the new rabbit trail.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Air-Hogs-Heli-Blaster/44811683?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=291&adid=22222222227033813718&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=70648981232&wl4=pla-138618041552&wl5=9013168&wl6=&wl7=9013168&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111839944&wl11=online&wl12=44811683&wl13=&veh=sem
Air hogs stomp pad for their outdoor aerial series.

The size is perfect, there are a dozen types from the past few years, and might actually be the missing piece.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »
Bro...

That might be it.

It's got the right number of ridges on the pump (five), only one vent, it's square, and the little raised portion on the front was likely covered by the still mysterious belt buckle piece.

Dare I say... MSTory solved?!?!

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2017, 04:13:30 PM »
Here's another image from another version.  Look at the hose valve area, and compare it to the shot of Waverly's booty above.  I'm getting more and more convinced.

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »
They had some spaceships in the past, that could have had that beltbuckle like piece on it.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »
They had some spaceships in the past, that could have had that beltbuckle like piece on it.

I was thinking the same thing.  Good thought!

I've been googling these foot pumped rockets all afternoon, looking for details and especially for that belt buckle.  I haven't seen anything close yet.  But all that googling is really convincing me that you found the right body piece.  Even if the belt buckle remains a mystery for a while, I'm starting to feel confidant that the body has been identified!  WOO!!!!

EDIT: After a few more hours of googling, my eyes are crossing, but this is the closest I have seen.  It's a 2007 Air Hogs Split Shot Rocket.  I think all the pumps are pretty much the same, but this one (at least according to the box) has the completely yellow pump used on Basement Bot Waverly.  The rocket doesn't appear to have the belt buckle piece.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:07:13 PM by Danzilla93 »

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2017, 09:07:28 AM »
I know that foot pumps, like for a mattress, typically have a strap that goes over the top of the pump for storage/transport.  Looking at the beltbuckle and other airhog pumps, it could be some sort of stylish strap. 

Waverly, it is literally one of my wife's favorite albums.  She bought it from you in 03 or 04 when you were at her college in scenic Martin TN. 

Edit:
A green one is in the mail, should be here Friday.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:20:16 PM by fastbilly1 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2017, 08:56:14 PM »
A green one is in the mail, should be here Friday.

Hey, me too!  I guess we'll find out if this is really the piece at the same time!  ;)

Friday is also the day I'm finally expecting the correct mouth part.  After that, all I'll need part wise is one more shoulder, some stand-in hands, some spheres for the elbows/shoulders, and whatever the heck that belt buckle is.  My next challenge to tackle will be finding the right paint.  If you look at the picture PuppetGarage posted on the first page, you can see the orange paint cap.  It looks like a Krylon cap, and so far their "Safety/Pumpkin" orange is looking the closest.  I'll probably pick up some this week and test it.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2017, 04:46:56 PM »
I went paint shopping today.  As I mentioned yesterday, a little zooming in on that picture of the unassembled Waverly on page one shows an orange paint cap.  It looked to me like a Krylon cap, and a trip to Lowes later, I think I have the right paint in hand.

It's Krylon Pumpkin Orange/Gloss, a paint & primer that supposedly sticks to plastic well.  Take a look at the images below; the caps match perfectly.

I also picked up a flat white and black for the rest of the body, and I'll be testing all three as soon as I can.  I'll let you all know what the results are!

EDIT: I've tested all the paint, and it looks awesome!  The orange looks pretty dead on, as does the flat white and satin black.  Tomorrow, once I get the last major parts in the mail, I hope to do some painting and assembly!  I've posted an image of my tests below.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:52:25 PM by Danzilla93 »