Author Topic: Waverly  (Read 3652 times)

fastbilly1

• View Profile
Re: Waverly
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »
Sweet deal.  All the testors paints I have tried were close but not the right color.  Hooray for much cheaper paint. 

Waverly may be the cheapest bot to build on the show.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:19:08 PM by fastbilly1 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2017, 11:21:40 AM »
AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!  SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Sorry about that. 

My packages came today, containing a sandcastle set with Waverly's mouth, and the Air Hogs foot pumped rocket.  On the bright side, the foot pump is DEFINITELY the piece.  It's perfect.

On the not so bright side, I AGAIN got the wrong mouth piece.  It's the right shape, but too small.  It's easy to tell the difference because the correct mouth has four raised ridges along its side.  The one I got has 8.  Oops.  Back to Amazon...

But the mouth was close enough that I was able to hold it together with my hands and begin to see Waverly taking shape.  It was cool.

See my pictures below for shots of the pump and a WIP of Waverly.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:52:25 AM by Danzilla93 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »
As it turns out, finding a listing on Amazon with the correct mouth part is nearly impossible.  Most seem to ship from China, and I ain't waiting until the end of July to build my Waverly.  I finally found a Prime listing that, while expensive, definitely had the correct part:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MR4Q9FW/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2TR0RQGQD04TR&psc=1

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2017, 01:39:24 AM »
I just had a thought about that still mysterious beltbuckle. 

If you look at the other Basement Bots Joel made at the same time as the original Waverly, you'll notice that multiple bots use different parts from the same toy.  Example: one bot uses arms from a Buzz Lightyear toy, and a second bot uses the legs from the same toy.  A bunch of them also use sandcastle mold parts. This leads me to believe Joel had a bunch of toys on a table, then he took them apart, mixed up the parts, and used bits of each on the different bots.

The moral of the story?  It's possible, dare I say likely, that the belt buckle piece came from one of the other toys used to make the other Basement Bots!  So it might behove us to look at those bots, identify some of those toys, and see if we can't find our missing part!

Also, I'm starting to think that those little screw holes on the front were part of the buckle before Joel touched it.  Could it be a screwed on battery compartment lid?

Here's the link to images of the Basement Bots:

http://www.botbuilders.info/index.php?topic=181.0

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2017, 11:40:54 AM »
I have been thinking about that aswell.

My worry about the paint is that under subdued lighting conditions, it looks perfect:

But under harsher light:

Didnt stop me from buying three cans of it to paint tiny and jumbo Waverly. 

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2017, 01:03:57 PM »
My worry about the paint is that under subdued lighting conditions, it looks perfect:

But under harsher light:

This actually further confirms that this is the right paint.  Take a look at these pictures.  Same prop, different light:

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
While I'm waiting for my correct mouth to come in the mail tomorrow, I decided to paint Waverly's head.  It turned out really well!  I can't wait to do the same thing to the finished mouth and body!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:28:20 PM by Danzilla93 »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2017, 08:23:10 PM »
Closer and closer!

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2017, 10:21:18 AM »
Work has been crazy recently and thanks to recent security news, non work related browsing has been restricted.  Coupling that with how close I am to jumping ship to another company...well Waverly update:
Bought two sets of hands:

Standard sized hands:
https://www.amazon.com/Set-Ten-Finger-Hands-Puppets/dp/B00OACD9CU/

Jumbo Waverly hands:
https://www.amazon.com/BigMouth-Inc-Little-Tricks-Sleeves/dp/B00OKVJAHY/

They will be painted and put on arms this weekend.  Both Waverlys will be done before the Nashville show, so Puppet Garage or Waverly, if one of yall are operating that night, be on the lookout for the Waverly brigade.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:23:42 AM by fastbilly1 »

Waverly

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2017, 12:41:29 AM »
Both Waverlys will be done before the Nashville show, so Puppet Garage or Waverly, if one of yall are operating that night, be on the lookout for the Waverly brigade.

I''m scheduled to be there.  I can't wait! Looks so great.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2017, 09:18:02 PM »
Your Waverly's look amazing!  I'm so excited to see them finished!

I'm currently working on a way to alter the shoulders without it looking stinky.  I think I have a solution, and I'll post my end result soon.

I'm really happy with the arms, too!  PVC couplings, wooden balls, some wire, and a bit of hot glue.  They look pretty close to the ones used onscreen!

The biggest sticky wicket I have encountered so far is definitely the mouth.  After ordering three sets of sandcastle parts, the third piece is definitely the right shape, but just looks too stinking big no matter what I try.  I have a suspicion that it was cut down in the back/on the bottom to fit inside the Basement Bot's head.  When it was printed, the mouth was scaled down a bit, possibly to make the movement easier during puppeteeing.  Remember, the Basement Bot wasn't a puppet, so it wasn't built like one.

Regardless of scale, I'll be painting the mouth to see how it looks.  If anyone out there happens to know of a piece SMALLER than this one that has the exact same design, lemme know. 

Aside from that, I hope to have the body drilled and painted this week.  I still need to get some hands and a second shoulder, and engineer a puppeteeing mechanism for the mouth, but after that I should have a pretty accurate Waverly all ready to bring to Chicago!  I hope the real Waverly, and his buddy Grant, will be there as well!  ;)

EDIT: Okay, I have finished my alterations to the shoulder piece, and I like what I have so far. 

It was pretty simple: I sliced off one wall, and glued a sheet of thin plastic over the hole.  I cut the piece to conform to the hole with a box cutter, and a little extra hot glue sealed the cracks.  I also added an extra strip of plastic to mimic the little rim on the bottom.  Right now it looks odd because of the clear plastic, but once it's painted white, it should look pretty good!  I hope to do that today.  Expect more pics then, and wish me luck!

EDIT: Success!  The shoulder doesn't look perfect, but from a distance it'll look fine.  I'm about to attach one of the arms into the shoulder, and see how the hanging wire setup that will allow me to operate the arms via rod works.

I also finally got both parts of the body painted.  Check out the images below!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:44:17 PM by Danzilla93 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2017, 10:52:48 AM »
Dare I say... SUCCESS?!?!

The mouth is still too flip flappin' HUGE, but I'm still at work on trying to find a way to reduce the size a bit.  If there's a sandcastle mold out there that's identical to this one in design but an extra inch or so smaller, I haven't seen it yet.  This will have to do until I figure out what's going on.

Im still trying to get the hands and a second shoulder, and I still need to get the puppeteeing mechanism set up, but things are still moving along nicely.  I'm on track to have my very own lovable Waverly done in time for the Chicago live shows!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:55:01 AM by Danzilla93 »

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2017, 07:34:16 AM »
Looks great Dan.

Smits came over yesterday and we cut the mouth and got some size references for Jumbo Waverly's arms.  She hasnt been around due to her drawing project:
https://mysteryscribbletheater3000.tumblr.com/

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2017, 08:39:44 PM »
Wow, Smits is an incredible drawer!  That's some amazing work!

The countdown to the Chicago shows next Sunday continues, and its crunch time if I want to get my Waverly done before leaving early on Thursday.  That gives me four days to get the final touches put on.

Today I received the final pieces in the mail: two hands and the second shoulder.  Once they are altered and painted, the arms will be done and ready to be attached to the body.  Right now I am finishing up the puppetering rod, which I'm pretty proud of! 

The last step will be to assemble the head, rig a pull string for the mouth, and attach some elastic in the jaw to keep it shut.  I'm still working on figuring out how to do all of that, and by the end of Wednesday.  But I think I can pull it off and get Waverly to the Chicago shows!  I'll post pictures as the build nears completion.

EDIT: Okay, so today I painted the last few parts, got the arms rigged into the shoulders, and got the shoulders attached to the body.  The hands are still worryingly sticky, but I'm hoping they'll dry a bit more by tomorrow.  The puppetering rod is also done, and once I get the handle glued on, the neck will turn freely!  Next is attaching the neck, getting the head and mouth attached, and rigging the wire for the mouth.  I'm getting very close now!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:09:31 PM by Danzilla93 »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »
Were some enterprising person to send me a Waverly mouth, I can 3D scan it, and then we'd have a digital file to scale and send off to Shapeways.... <hint hint>
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:48:29 AM by Ron »