Author Topic: Waverly  (Read 4933 times)

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waverly
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
Were some enterprising person to sent me a Waverly mouth, I can 3D scan it, and then we'd have a digital file to scale and send off to Shapeways.... <hint hint>

Hmmmm... I like the way you think.  ;) Maybe one such enterprising individual will order a second one sometime soon...

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »
Maybe at some point you could make the helmet from the host segment in season 11.
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2017, 09:46:39 PM »
Maybe at some point you could make the helmet from the host segment in season 11.

I was actually thinking about that.  It's a great idea!  Once I get a working prototype, I might just start focusing on accessories!  He's small and adorable... perfect for dressing up!

Full disclosure: my Tom Servo has a little suit and bow tie.  He wore it when he accompanied me to the red carpet Reptilicus screening in Chicago in February.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to dress Waverly up for the live shows.

But again, I need to actually finish Waverly first.  ;D

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »
It's been almost two weeks since my last Waverly update, and I've been a busy fool with my trip to Chicago and getting back to work.

Long story short: I didn't finish Waverly in time for the Chicago live shows.  :'(

I got very close, but in the end it was the hands that got me.  The spray paint wasn't sticking to the rubber, and by the time I had the bright idea to coat them in Modge Podge, it was too late.  It worked, but it was 2:00 AM, I had to be up in 5 hours, and I hadn't packed for the five day trip yet.  In the end, practicality won out, and Tom Servo accompanied me to Chicago instead.

Waverly or not, the weekend was amazing.  The folks at G-FEST adored Tom Servo, and I got stopped for dozens of pictures.  However, it was, of course, at the live shows on Sunday where he got the most love.  It's always wonderful to see MSTies' faces light up when they see a bot in person.

As the line neared the entrance to the Vic Theater, I spotted Grant coming up the line of excited fans, carrying the real Waverly with him.  I officially introduced myself and he congratulated me (and my fellow Waverly obsessed fans here in this thread) on an amazing job.  I got the opportunity to examine the puppet pretty closely, and even operate the arms a bit!  I now know EXACTLY what I did wrong in several places.  ;D

Grant, if you're out there buddy, I can't thank you enough for rooting us on and giving me the opportunity to check out the puppet.  It really means a lot.  And congratulations on a PHENOMENAL couple of shows! Seriously, they were among the funniest things I have ever seen, and I'm including the entire MST3K catalogue, here.

I've included some WIP pics of my Waverly as he is now, and a shot of Grant, Waverly, Tom, and I outside the theater.  Wish me luck as I keep working, and those of you working on your own Waverly's PLEASE keep posting updates and pictures.  I can't wait to see your progress!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:41:41 PM by Danzilla93 »

DentonUSA

• "Knew your father,I did!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2017, 01:11:07 AM »
G-FEST, as in the Tokusatsu convention? So jelly man...

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2017, 05:23:39 PM »
Ive been stuck doing 12+ hour days for the last few weeks at work, aswell as Saturdays.  So I have stopped on Growler but I will get Waverly done.  Good to know about the ModgePodge, I just coated one set in that.  My other was dunked into PVA glue, but it did not harden evenly. 

What other mistakes did you notice you made after you saw the real one Dan? 

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2017, 08:36:22 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, I've had a crazy couple of weeks.

After getting a good look at the puppet in person, a few things became apparent, mostly dealing with scale.  Firstly, the entire puppet from bottom of air pump to top of head was around a foot tall or so, meaning some of the parts we've been tracking down these last few months are too small.  Of course, this is something we knew going into the project, since we knew the final parts were going to be printed larger than the originals.  However, a few of the parts appear to be "real world" size in the final puppet, but more on that in a second.

One thing I noticed right away was that my arms, while too thick, were constructed about the right length as the actual puppet.  The problem is that my body and head are at the smaller scale, which means my arms are too big/long.  The hands are about the right size, though.

Another thing I noticed is that Waverly's mouth is operated with an old school wire that runs into a hole in the neck and pulls the jaw, just like the classic Crow.  Since that's how I'm assembling mine, it was nice to see that that's how it was actually done.  It made me feel like I actually knew what I was doing!  ;)

And now onto the scale of the other parts... the body and flower pot head were maybe a third bigger than the actual parts, but bafflingly, the mouth is pretty much the exact same size as the sandcastle mold I currently have.  This means a couple of things: firstly, if I finish my Waverly with the parts I currently have, his trap will be too honking big for his head and body (something I knew the moment I got the mouth part and held it up with the flower pot).  Secondly, if I want an accurate Waverly, I'll either need to find a way to acquire/make a smaller mouth to fit my other smaller parts, or aquire/make a bigger body and head to fit my mouth.

Or I just make him with a big mouth and deal with it.  :P

This in no way clears up the mystery of what mouth part was used in the Basement Bot version of Waverly, which clearly fits in the flower pot head and didn't need to be 3D printed to do so.  WHERE IS THAT PART?!?!  Seriously, all my problems would be solved if I had a mouth that was the right size.

And then there's the flippin' belt buckle.  I inspected the heck out of that thing, and... I still got nothing.  My Waverly will be belt buckle-less until I can fabricate one, or the MSTory is solved.

All that said, I'm still satisfied with my progress so far.  I've got all the materials to assemble a big mouthed version, but I'm still holding out hope that I can get a smaller mouth... or a bigger body and head.  Maybe it's time for me to finally look into getting these things 3D printed...  ;)

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
G-FEST, as in the Tokusatsu convention? So jelly man...

Yep, I go every year!  This was my 8th year in a row, and it was amazing as always.  Lots of amazing people there this year, too!  I recommend going next year if you can make it!  For giant monster fans, it's the best 4 days of the year!  ;D

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »
I'll be seeing Waverly in person on Friday.  Anyone want any specific pictures of him?

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2017, 10:42:48 PM »
I'll be seeing Waverly in person on Friday.  Anyone want any specific pictures of him?

Any chance you could hold a ruler up to so we could figure out the scaling of the parts? 

Pics with a ruler along the side and bottom of the "belt buckle" could really help to scratch build it.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2017, 07:52:39 AM »
I second sd3's request!  That'd be super helpful.  Having a concrete number for how tall he actually is from head to butt would be awesome as well.

If possible, I'd love a shot of the inside of the mouth, so I can see what is being used to retract the jaw and where the pull string is attached.  Also, a shot of where the puppetering rods are attached to the wrists would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for offering to do this for us!!!!  You're the man!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:54:35 AM by Danzilla93 »

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »
Just had another thought about picture request:  armpits.  How do the arms actually attach under the castle. 

I would guess they connect to the same post that the castle is screwed to, but it would be nice to see how.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:44:22 PM by sd3 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2017, 06:09:34 PM »
^Ditto.  Excellent suggestion.  ;)

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2017, 09:39:35 AM »
Close enough:

Hes got two different sized shoulders, but down to the wire, what can you do.  He will just get pictures with his good side...

Sadly measurements will not help as much as you might think.  Waverly was a basement bot, scanned, and 3d printed bigger - just like Growler.  I will try to get a picture of mine next to the real one so we can get a since of scale.  Putting mine next to a Tom he is much more of a gremlin than he should be...

Ill see you tomorrow Ron.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:43:44 AM by fastbilly1 »

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2017, 10:11:27 AM »
Nice progress.  :)

Sadly measurements will not help as much as you might think.  Waverly was a basement bot, scanned, and 3d printed bigger - just like Growler.  I will try to get a picture of mine next to the real one so we can get a since of scale.  Putting mine next to a Tom he is much more of a gremlin than he should be...

I disagree about the measurements.  They would be a great help.  If we can get some solid numbers of his real size we can use them to figure out how much we need to scale up the found parts to make our own 3d prints.

Since you mentioned Growler as many reference pictures of him from different angles would be good too.  Measurements of his hose arms and shoulder bells could help figure him out.