Author Topic: Waverly  (Read 3094 times)

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waverly
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
Were some enterprising person to sent me a Waverly mouth, I can 3D scan it, and then we'd have a digital file to scale and send off to Shapeways.... <hint hint>

Hmmmm... I like the way you think.  ;) Maybe one such enterprising individual will order a second one sometime soon...

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »
Maybe at some point you could make the helmet from the host segment in season 11.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2017, 09:46:39 PM »
Maybe at some point you could make the helmet from the host segment in season 11.

I was actually thinking about that.  It's a great idea!  Once I get a working prototype, I might just start focusing on accessories!  He's small and adorable... perfect for dressing up!

Full disclosure: my Tom Servo has a little suit and bow tie.  He wore it when he accompanied me to the red carpet Reptilicus screening in Chicago in February.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to dress Waverly up for the live shows.

But again, I need to actually finish Waverly first.  ;D

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »
It's been almost two weeks since my last Waverly update, and I've been a busy fool with my trip to Chicago and getting back to work.

Long story short: I didn't finish Waverly in time for the Chicago live shows.  :'(

I got very close, but in the end it was the hands that got me.  The spray paint wasn't sticking to the rubber, and by the time I had the bright idea to coat them in Modge Podge, it was too late.  It worked, but it was 2:00 AM, I had to be up in 5 hours, and I hadn't packed for the five day trip yet.  In the end, practicality won out, and Tom Servo accompanied me to Chicago instead.

Waverly or not, the weekend was amazing.  The folks at G-FEST adored Tom Servo, and I got stopped for dozens of pictures.  However, it was, of course, at the live shows on Sunday where he got the most love.  It's always wonderful to see MSTies' faces light up when they see a bot in person.

As the line neared the entrance to the Vic Theater, I spotted Grant coming up the line of excited fans, carrying the real Waverly with him.  I officially introduced myself and he congratulated me (and my fellow Waverly obsessed fans here in this thread) on an amazing job.  I got the opportunity to examine the puppet pretty closely, and even operate the arms a bit!  I now know EXACTLY what I did wrong in several places.  ;D

Grant, if you're out there buddy, I can't thank you enough for rooting us on and giving me the opportunity to check out the puppet.  It really means a lot.  And congratulations on a PHENOMENAL couple of shows! Seriously, they were among the funniest things I have ever seen, and I'm including the entire MST3K catalogue, here.

I've included some WIP pics of my Waverly as he is now, and a shot of Grant, Waverly, Tom, and I outside the theater.  Wish me luck as I keep working, and those of you working on your own Waverly's PLEASE keep posting updates and pictures.  I can't wait to see your progress!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:41:41 PM by Danzilla93 »

DentonUSA

• "Knew your father,I did!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2017, 01:11:07 AM »
G-FEST, as in the Tokusatsu convention? So jelly man...

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2017, 05:23:39 PM »
Ive been stuck doing 12+ hour days for the last few weeks at work, aswell as Saturdays.  So I have stopped on Growler but I will get Waverly done.  Good to know about the ModgePodge, I just coated one set in that.  My other was dunked into PVA glue, but it did not harden evenly. 

What other mistakes did you notice you made after you saw the real one Dan?