Author Topic: Waverly  (Read 20615 times)

fastbilly1

• View Profile
Re: Waverly
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
Good thought, I will try to get the OK to take several pictures and measurements.  I am still not use to the world of 3d printing so forgive my ignorance.

We can kinda figure it out based on an image earlier in the thread with the spraycan cap.  But actuall measurements would be better.

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
Yeah, I have yet to do any 3d printing though I sort of have access to a printer though local Fab Lab.  3d design makes my brain go numb.  Still, like anything, better data will lead to better results.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:59:00 AM by sd3 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2017, 10:52:44 AM »
Your Waverly is looking great, fastbilly!  It's really making me want to get the last part of mine finished, even if his mouth is still too big...  :P

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
So Waverly went on a trip and ended up at a pub where he met up with part of the Revival league:

Sadly Waverly got sauced and started seeing the Serenity everywhere:

Then he saw a better version of himself:

But they became fast friends:

Then he saw a show:

Waverly was much loved at the Nashville show, despite misshaped shoulders, and the mouth mechanism breaking enroute.  I got a chance to inspect the real one, but forgot to get pictures since Ron was there taking them (as seen in the third picture). 

Realized my mistake with the arms and that my shoulders were too far spread out (making him look far more angry and/or hunchbacky).

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2017, 07:42:17 AM »
It was very cool checking out your bot in person!

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2017, 12:14:33 PM »
I can't wait to see Ron's pictures.  I see the ruler there!  That is really cool that they let you do that!

Just looking at some of fastbilly's pics it seems to me the Air Hog bellows are very close in size to the 3D printed bellows. I guess it could be lens distortion or forced perspective.  How did it look in real life?

It seems the watering can head on the real Waverly is noticably bigger, but I am not sure since fastbilly used the close but not 100% watering can.  Fastbilly's mouth looks to be the right size and it looks like you got really close on your arm pieces.  Good job.

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2017, 01:01:24 PM »
Grant was super cool letting us get up and close with Waverly.  His mouth operates the same way as Crows does - I was allowed to take a picture of the inside of the mouth showing the elastic but it is blurry...

My estimate is:
The bellows on the real Waverly is like 20% bigger.
The head is much larger, like 80% bigger.
The mouth is about 30% bigger.

Waverly

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2017, 06:29:23 PM »
So great meeting you guys at the show!  I showed Joel the pictures of basement bot Waverly and he was really impressed.  I would like to post one of the pictures of Waverly with his counterpart on Twitter. fastbilly1 are you on Twitter?  If so, let me know what your username is so I can tag you when I post it.

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2017, 07:26:27 PM »
So Waverly went on a trip and ended up at a pub where he met up with part of the Revival league:

That first one made me laugh.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:46:36 PM by Dr.cgad »
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »
Sorta OK'ish measurements!

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2017, 04:09:11 PM »
Quote from: Ron
Sorta OK'ish measurements!

More than OK'ish, those rock!

I had started drawing the belt buckle in cad using the basement bot for reference.  Based on your pictures I scaled it up.  I did a few quick samples and I would guess most of my drawing is within 1/32 of an inch!  I see some tweaks that will need to be made because your pictures have some different views that I did not have before.  Thanks for sharing!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:14:07 PM by sd3 »

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2017, 09:42:33 PM »
So great meeting you guys at the show!  I showed Joel the pictures of basement bot Waverly and he was really impressed.  I would like to post one of the pictures of Waverly with his counterpart on Twitter. fastbilly1 are you on Twitter?  If so, let me know what your username is so I can tag you when I post it.
Awesome that Joel liked it.  I will be honored if you posted it on your twitter.  Sadly I no longer use the service, my account got hacked years ago and just never started another one. 

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
Does anyone know of a place to for sure get the right sand castle mold for Waverly's mouth?

I know Danzilla did a lot of part sourcing for this and posted several links to Amazon.

Back in July I ordered two sets out of China.  I  knew it would be a wait but the parts were cheap.  They showed up yesterday and do not have the mouth mold that was in the picture.  :(  They apologized for the confusion and have changed their pictures on Amazon to reflect what is actually included as well as giving me a refund.

I went to one of the other links Danzilla posted.  The mold was included with a dump truck toy and was much more expensive.  I was just going to bite the bullet until I read some reviews where people said they received different things than pictured and didn't get some things from the set at all.  I don't want to go thru the order and return thing again.

Hopefully someone knows a place to get the right part, for sure, the first time.

DentonUSA

• "Knew your father,I did!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2017, 01:55:29 PM »
I was going to point this out much earlier, but I forgot :P, but the little shapes on Waverly's belt buckle look like little lego pieces. Not sure about the rectangular one, but the circular one is a definite yes.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2017, 12:15:24 PM »
Does anyone know of a place to for sure get the right sand castle mold for Waverly's mouth?

I went to one of the other links Danzilla posted.  The mold was included with a dump truck toy and was much more expensive.  I was just going to bite the bullet until I read some reviews where people said they received different things than pictured and didn't get some things from the set at all.  I don't want to go thru the order and return thing again.

Hopefully someone knows a place to get the right part, for sure, the first time.

Sorry for the late reply, bud.  Thanks for letting us know that the Chinese listing doesn't have the correct mouth.  You've done the Bot Building community a great debt of service by getting that picture changed!  I'll remove the listing from my Waverly Parts thread accordingly.

I bought the dump truck set to get my mouth, and the part was definitely in there.  It was nearly 30 bucks when I bought it, and last I checked a few days ago, it's a lot cheaper now.  I say go for it, but a word of caution: the piece is too large to be 100% accurate when put under the watering can head.  That's what has tripped me up and prevented me from completing the build, since I'm a stickler for accuracy. 

The most confounding thing about this is the fact that the Basement Bot was constructed using all original, not 3D printed parts, and the head and mouth are perfect!  There HAS to be either a slightly smaller mouth or a slightly larger head out there, but for the LIIIIIIIIFE of me, I haven't been able to find it after nearly 7 months of looking.

Until those parts are proven to exist and I can get one to do some measurements, or the existing too small/large parts can be 3D scanned and printed larger/smaller, the mouth in that listing with the truck is your best bet.  ;)