Author Topic: Waverly  (Read 8438 times)

fastbilly1

• View Profile
Re: Waverly
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2017, 09:12:37 AM »
I ordered two more sets of sand castle parts to get another shoulder, neither came with the shoulder part...  Hunchback Waverly still lives!

Waverly got some love at Dragoncon the 4 hours I was there (Lots of folk yelled "Watchout for Snakes"), but not as much as hometown hero Homestar Runner.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:35:43 AM by fastbilly1 »

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2017, 08:03:56 AM »

Sorry for the late reply, bud.  Thanks for letting us know that the Chinese listing doesn't have the correct mouth.  You've done the Bot Building community a great debt of service by getting that picture changed!  I'll remove the listing from my Waverly Parts thread accordingly.

<blush>  It was nothing.

I bought the dump truck set to get my mouth, and the part was definitely in there.  It was nearly 30 bucks when I bought it, and last I checked a few days ago, it's a lot cheaper now.  I say go for it, but a word of caution: the piece is too large to be 100% accurate when put under the watering can head.  That's what has tripped me up and prevented me from completing the build, since I'm a stickler for accuracy. 

Yeah, I'm still kicking that around but I am working another angle.  Would you mind posting the dimensions of the mold form the dump truck set?  The height and diameter of the base would be good.  Thanks in advance.

The most confounding thing about this is the fact that the Basement Bot was constructed using all original, not 3D printed parts, and the head and mouth are perfect!  There HAS to be either a slightly smaller mouth or a slightly larger head out there, but for the LIIIIIIIIFE of me, I haven't been able to find it after nearly 7 months of looking.

Almost has to be a smaller mouth part.  The watering can we all have looks right with the Air Hogs body and the shoulder castle molds to me.

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2018, 09:50:36 AM »
Has anyone scanned the parts and have 3d files?  I now have a 3d printer so I can make a proper Waverly!

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
^DUDE!

That's super awesome!  I wish I had 3D files to give you.

I also wish I had a 3D printer.  :(

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2018, 08:19:20 PM »
However...

Were some enterprising person to send me a Waverly mouth, I can 3D scan it, and then we'd have a digital file to scale and send off to Shapeways.... <hint hint>

I'd shoot Ron a PM.  If he can get 3D files made, you'll be in business!  Hell, I'll help out with sending extra parts for scanning if I have 'em!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:24:41 PM by Danzilla93 »

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
i know this is off topic but i wanted to let you know that my crow kit came in.
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »
Man, my poor Waverly is still sitting in my room with no mouth right now.  Poor little guy's arm fell off the other day, as well.  I'd have been sadder in the moment if the brutal appropriateness of his arm coming off hasn't hit me a couple of seconds later.  :'(

I've been chomping at the bit to finish this guy for months, but no matter how hard I try, I'm still not satisfied with settling for the mouth that's too big.  Everything else is pretty awesome, but he won't be right until I get a smaller mouth. 

If any progress is made towards getting smaller parts 3D printed, then by all means, PLEASE count me in!  My man Waverly needs him some chompers!

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2018, 08:37:48 AM »
I had a pipe break behind my workbench three weeks ago when we didnt get above 10 degrees for more than a few days.  So the garage was flipped upside down and everything got rearranged.  It was the pipe that feeds the hot water heater so I did not feel comfortable fixing it myself.  Luckily the plumber was a huge fan of Scifi and specifically Starwars.  Parts of jumbo waverly were piled in a clear bin on the workbench and he finally asked what it was.  So I went and got faux Waverly and BB8 and he did the whole repair for the cost of materials.

So now that the garage is usable again, I can work on fixing Waverly and building Jumbo Waverly.  Once Waverly is working he might start singing opera.  Gotta start building that hype for Season 12.

Until then BB8 on ice:
https://www.facebook.com/KilobyteTheater/videos/vb.252516601518775/1136969813073445/?type=2&theater
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:43:08 AM by fastbilly1 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »
Alright, new job has been obtained and workshop/garage is back in usable shape.  So I have some time to get back to fixing Waverly.

I need:
- A new shoulder and pull the shoulders tighter so he is not hunchbacked.
- Rebuild mouth so it is operational
- Rebuild arms so they are the correct length - the real one has a straight part with a ball at the end in the shoulder for the joint (I did not do that).

The real Waverly mouth operates similarly to Crow with elastic going through the bridge of the mouth.  He also has a head turning mechanic that I may forgo for complexity in the smaller size.

Smits's Jumbo Waverly is going to be assembled soon aswell.  He is all painted and sitting in the chair in my workshop taking up space...

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »
Glad to hear things are rolling again!