Author Topic: Are Crow and Tom no longer puppeted by their voices while riffing?  (Read 1530 times)

Robert K S

• View Profile
    • Email
While watching "The Return" episodes I noticed these names in the credits:

crow puppeteers
GRANT BACIOCCO
CARLA RUDY
HAMPTON YOUNT

tom servo puppeteers
RUSS WALKO
ERIK KUSKA
BARON VAUGHN

So are Baron Vaughn and Hampton Yount no longer the primary puppeteers for their respective bots?  Didn't Trace Beaulieu and Bill Corbett always puppeteer Crow during their respective turns on the show?  Didn't J. Elvis Weinstein and Kevin Murphy always puppeteer Tom Servo during their respective runs?

The only other puppetry credit I can find on the old series is for Patrick Brantseg ("technical puppetry," 1992-1999), who was also the voice of Gypsy.

I can see why Baron and Hampton might need some occasional help, but the credits make it seem like somebody else is doing the puppeteering now--perhaps during the theater segments?

I have noticed that Crow's mouth just sort of flaps randomly when he's speaking in the theater.  Crow's mouth is not synced to his voice at all.  So now I'm wondering if the riff portions aren't done like they used to be, but instead have all the riffs dubbed in in post.  It would serve to explain why the mouth motions of Crow appear entirely divorced from the speech.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Are Crow and Tom no longer puppeted by their voices while riffing?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 11:26:24 PM »
The bodies are puppeted by GRANT BACIOCCO, CARLA RUDY, RUSS WALKO, ERIK KUSKA.  The mouths are puppeteered remotely at the same time the bodies are being puppeteered by HAMPTON YOUNT, BARON VAUGHN.

Robert K S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »
And this represents a big change from how it used to be on the old show, correct?

What is the mechanism for remote actuation of the mouths?  Is there some kind of radio control in communication with a servomotor (or similar) that pulls a string, or is there just a longer string, or...?

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »
They use an RC car controller to actuate the mouth.  The trigger style ones with the directional wheel for steering on it.

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:07:29 PM »
or is there just a longer string, or...?
I will now tell people it is just one really long string.  It is more fitting with the feel of the show.