Author Topic: Satellite of Love: Preschool Edition!  (Read 1032 times)

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
Satellite of Love: Preschool Edition!
« on: May 12, 2017, 11:16:31 PM »
First, a little background is necessary...

I work as both a children's art teacher and a preschool teacher, and every day while doing the latter we have a 2 hour nap time, during which there's often very little to do other than watch kids toss and turn and listen to relaxing nap time music.  So, a few months ago, as I sat listening to piano covers  of Disney songs, I decided that I needed an art project to work on.  But what?

I surveyed my surroundings, and made a mental list of materials I saw: construction paper, scissors/glue/tape, buttons in various shapes (like circles, squares, and hexagons), cardboard tubes, and a collage basket filled with stickers, buttons, and various bits of plastic junk.

What would I build?  Obviously, the Satellite of Love!  What else?!

So began my SOL Challenge, wherein I would use only materials I found at my various work locations to construct the best Satellite I could!  And so, with no blueprints, no concrete measurements, and armed only with the faith and hope that I could pull this off, I began.

My first step was taking a Hexagonal button (about an inch and a third across) and tracing dozens and dozens of hexagons on construction paper.  After a few flimsy prototypes (constructed over several weeks), I switched to sturdier flash card paper.  I freehanded a pentagon that would fit between the hexagons, and traced a bunch of those as well.  Then it was time to tape them all together (from the inside), and create the connecting geodesic spheres.  This took a while.  I got some weird looks from my kids, but when I told them I was building a spaceship, their eyes lit up. :)

After constructing the domes, I soon abandoned my idea to use cardboard tubes as the larger tunnels, and instead cut 18 long strips of thin cardboard to form the hexagonal shapes.  The two tunnels (12 strips) weren't long enough, so the last 6 got cut in half to form two tunnel extensions that were then added to the longer tunnels.  The two big tunnels were then covered with white paper to hide the taped seams. 

For the middle bit, I rolled a wrapping paper tube super tight, then taped it into shape and put it between the two tunnels.  Then, the whole paper and cardboard mess was hot glued together into the shape of our favorite theater containing Satellite!

Then came the fun part... finding little bits of crap and gluing all over the surface!  It's something I've always wanted to do since seeing Star Wars when I was but a wee lad, and becoming a MSTie really solidified the notion that it was something anyone could do themselves.  I love the show for that, so I took great pleasure in plastering tons of fun little things to the hull of my SOL, almost all of which came from my preschool!

These included foam letters and other shapes, a bunch of those little wooden craft shapes, K-Nects (remember those?), plastic straws, cardboard, a house from Monopoly, several lids from those apple sauce squeeze packets, buttons, string, a Command Hook, a ping pong ball, and other little plastic pieces!  I'm particularly proud of the satellite dish, which was made from one of those aforementioned apple sauce lids, a bit of foam, and a toy traffic cone.  (The only pieces I cheated on are a few bits of model kit plastic from my old Seaview kit.  I allowed it because "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" is "part of the MST3K family", as it were!)

I then hit the end result with several coats of (again, keeping it in the family) Testers Flat Dark Gun Metal Gray.

Considering the final product is largely paper, cardboard, tape, and hot glue, I'm VERY pleased with the results!  It took around four months of off and on work to finish it (and I might still give it another coat of paint), but I think it turned out pretty awesome!

(On a side note, about 12 hours after finishing this on a Saturday night, I drive to get groceries on Sunday morning and, as if it was meant to be, stumbled across a dicast red VW microbus in a model car display. I'll let you guess what my next prop build will be...  ;) )

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Satellite of Love: Preschool Edition!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 01:01:45 AM »
Some more pictures of the unpainted and painted SOL.  These shots show off all the junk I found, and just how colorful a pre-painted kit bashed model can be!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:55:40 AM by Danzilla93 »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »
Very nice!

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
I love the letters and knex pieces. 

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:16:57 PM »
Thanks you guys! ;D I loved finding the little bits to glue on, and the challenge of using only the material I found at my job made it even more fun!  Aside from about 5 bucks for the paint, this project cost me literally nothing but time.  Everything else was all there, waiting to be turned into a spaceship! ;)