Author Topic: Bulldog adhesion promoter  (Read 1515 times)

mikeh1982

• View Profile
Bulldog adhesion promoter
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:58:58 PM »
One of the sources I'm pulling from for building Crow is a YouTube video by askbotboy. He recommends spraying him with Bulldog brand Adhesion promoter as a base coat before paint. I was wondering if anyone had any experience/tips here about that.

1) has anyone used the Bulldog adhesion promoter? It's a little expensive since, so I was wondering if another brand adhesion promoter would do just as well. If so, which one?

2) I have Testors Semi-Gloss gray primer. Any thoughts on if I can use that as an acceptable base coat over the adhesion primer?

I'm looking to start priming and painting soon, so I want to gather as much info as I can now. I'm going to the Philly live show and was hoping I could bring a completed Crow along with Tom, so I have just over a month.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Bulldog adhesion promoter
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »
My advice would be to use an adhesion promoter, and then a primer coat that is similar in color to the destination color of the part.  Colonial Red works well for Servo, and means fewer coats of the Ruby Red to get the same results.  I use a generic gold (non-metalic) for Crow.

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »
I have made two Crows in the last few years:
1. Adhesion promoter and a basecoat of flat gold
2. Several coats of Rustoleum Universal Gold Metallic Paint and Primer. 
The flat gold one is more authentic colored, but the rustoleum coated one looks fine unless you are under harsh lighting looking for issues.

mikeh1982

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
I bought another generic brand of plastic adhesion promoting clear primer, so I'm good there. As for the base coat of gold, I can't find any flat type of gold. But I have a can of Krylon metallic gold spray paint. In your opinions, would a coat of that suffice under the Testors lime gold?