Author Topic: Growler  (Read 3237 times)

Waverly

• View Profile
Growler
« on: June 03, 2017, 06:21:38 PM »
Why should Waverly have all the fun? :)

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Growler
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »
Haha, why indeed?!?!  ;D

That is a gorgeous picture.  I've been meaning to start a Growler thread for a while, but thought I'd try to ID some parts first.  I've had little luck so far, so I'm glad there's now a place to discuss and research this awesome guy!

Like Waverly, Growler started his life as one of Joel's Basement Bots, but went through a HUGE evolution, to the point that it appears not a lot of original parts were used in the final design.  The head is the biggest similarity.  But there may be some other reused bits.  I've included some screenshots below for reference to aid us on our quest.

So... anyone have any ideas about what parts were used? 

The game is afoot!

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 11:28:41 PM »
And for reference, here is the Basement Bot version:

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
Ivan was kind enough to take a ton of closeups of the new bots when I was out there on the set visit.  I really hope Joel finally OKs those for release some day :(

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 03:47:46 PM »
I was honestly hoping to ID all the parts on Waverly before starting on Growler.

Well we know his body was milled, and his arms are corrugated garden tubes.
Shoulders look like knee pads.
Nose is probably vacuum formed over knob.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM »
I'm really intrigued by what the head could be.  It looks like a bucket, with perhaps the lid functioning as the lower jaw.  It almost looks like the bucket stood on 4 legs like an animal.

3D printed or not, I'm willing to bet the majority of the parts are based on found object.  I wonder what the body is?

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 11:26:12 AM »
On the little bot his body is likely bellowed plastic pipe:

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »
Well since most of Waverly has been IDed (enough that he will look right from a distance), time to focus on Growler.  My goal is to have both built to take to the showing in Nashville (well and Jumbo Waverly)

His arms and neck are corrugated drainage pipe like Gypsy umbilicus
Hands look like mechanics gloves with the pink foam on the top painted green
Shoulders are connected to body with a piece of black pvc - as seen in the first image

Hard parts:
- Shoulders look like knee or elbow pads for rollerblading.  Low end ones that dont have stress holes (just one solid piece).  Ive ye to find something that size, but based on the pipe going in for his arms, it rules out helmets.
- Body was milled, so we will have to find something that is close.
- Head - I dont even know where to start here.  It looks like a bucket with 80s voltron lion legs, but we know it was a small version. 
- Face - Vacuum form over a knob and the pterodactyl part will have to be cut out of wood or foam.  Like the head, this was a tiny part that I think they just 3d printed larger.  Unlike Waverly, I currently do not have the desire to make tiny Growler.

Thoughts, comments, get off the stage?

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »
I bet most of the head is 3d printed.  If you look over his left eye in the glare on the head it just has the cleaned up feel of a 3d printed part to me.

I don't think the hose is the same type of drain pipe used on Gypsy and Crow and all over the older episodes.  Here is some I found that looks much closer:

http://www.ducting.com/material-handling/dust-collection-hose/urethane-flex-general-purpose-black.html

And, drumroll please...the shoulders are...Bauer Vapor hockey shin guards.

They are plentiful on ebay and the web in the $50-60 price range so don't go getting into bidding wars.

Be careful and do some research before you buy a pair.  They come in different sizes.

I talked to a guy at a local ice rink pro shop and he says the hard shell parts are different sizes based on the size of the shin gaurd, but I am positive he didn't understand the context of what I was asking.  The youth sizes were definitely smaller than the senior, but  I am betting there are at most 2 or 3 size breaks through the junior/senior sizes.  He didn't have the full range of sizes for me to lay hands on but that is my guess based on my thoughts on how production would work.  I picked up a used M-14" because they were cheap and felt at least close to the right size.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 01:01:26 PM by sd3 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »
Holy guacamole, nice find my friend!!!!!!!!  ;D

That's the first part that's been positively identified!  The only question now is what size pad correlates to the smaller Basement Bot version made with the actual parts, and what size correlates to the larger screen used puppet that was 3D printed.

Either way, this is a great find!  The hunt is truly afoot!  ;D

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 10:03:05 AM »
Basement Bot Growler has totally different arms than full size Growler. 

I think they used the actual shin guard parts on the full size version.  Note the stitching holes.   Based on some of the mods they made to Waverly to 3d print him I don't think they would have bothered with the stitching holes if they were going to print that part.

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 10:23:29 AM »
I would have never thought of shingards for hockey.  But thats the southerner in me...

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »
I actually started out looking for baseball shin guards.

Then I found them at the pro shop where my kids take skating lessons.  It was a fun, lucky find.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 10:49:16 AM »
Basement Bot Growler has totally different arms than full size Growler. 

I think they used the actual shin guard parts on the full size version.  Note the stitching holes.   Based on some of the mods they made to Waverly to 3d print him I don't think they would have bothered with the stitching holes if they were going to print that part.

I know his arms are different (most of him is!), but since a few parts are the same, like the head, it would be nice to know what size knee pads would scale with a smaller version that's the same DESIGN as the full sized bot, but the same SIZE as the Basement Bot.  He's got so many tubes that finding/building other parts for a smaller version would be feasible.  In a perfect world, though, it'd be nice to have all the parts in their final, 3D printed size...

Good observation about the stitch holes!  At least we won't have to print THAT part!  ;)

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
Even the youth sized shin guards would too big for a basement bot scaled version of Growler...at least if he about the same size as basement bot Waverly.

Back to 3D printing.  ;D