Author Topic: "Tim" Servo  (Read 409 times)

Imascarylion

• View Profile
"Tim" Servo
« on: June 06, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »
I am new to the site so excuse me if I don't do something right. I thought I'd share my low budget, highly inaccurate, no-original-parts-used Servo! I know he doesn't look amazing, but this bugger took me 10 months to build. I know I should have just bought replica parts but this was cheaper and honestly more fun!

Here's the story:

Last July I found a Carousel snack dispenser at a flea market. I gave it a Servo like paint job before deciding on making my very own Servo. However, I did not have enough money to buy any replica parts, so I made it from scratch. This project began in August of 2016.

I used a $3 pretzel container for the body and gave it texture using a hot glue gun. I did NOT, however, use Testors paint, oh no. I made the stupid decision to use Dupli-Color Red Metal Cast Anodized Color. It's automotive paint, so that meant double the effort of painting it silver first and then red but I do like the color. Unfortunately, the two paints I had reacted to each other and ruined my snack dispenser and in attempting to fix the paint, I destroyed it. But I had already painted the body and made the engine block out of a bottle and nerf dart magazine, so I salvaged the dome and bought a new snack dispenser. (The original one I had was the ribbed version from Season 1. The new one I bought was more in line with the version I liked anyways.) Since I didn't have another lid, I used PVC to extend the head.

So, after 10 months of work, I have nearly completed him. The shoulder housing are tupperware containers that I cut to the correct shape. All I need to add now are the hands and the trains on the hoverskirt. I thought i'd share my near complete homemade version. There are a few gripes I have, such as the body being big and also wishing I sucked it up and bought a replica engine block, but he's so inaccurate its not even worth worrying about accuracy.  He's my own design and was a fun yet time consuming build. Sometime down the line I might make an accurate replica, but for now I am content.

Because he was made without ANY original parts, I have started the habit of calling him "Tim" Servo.

I hope you enjoy!

DentonUSA

• "Knew your father,I did!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Tim" Servo
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
*Gives OK sign* "It stinks!"... Just Kidding!!

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:19:22 PM »
It looks great.  That engine is impressive.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »
Holy cow, man!!!!

That is amazingly impressive considering no original parts were used.  That engine block is incredible.  I love the red too, it looks good on him!

I also love the idea of using PVC instead of an extra snack dispenser cap to extend the head.  I wouldn't have known that's what you did if you hadn't told us!

PLEASE continue posting pictures as this protect progresses!  Absolutely fantastic job!  ;D

Imascarylion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
Thank you! The engine block was a bit of a puzzle (the one on there was the third version) but I like how it turned out!

And I REALLY like that paint. Its difficult to work with and you need to lay a base coat of silver, but if its done right it has a very nice color! Again, if it's done right. I ruined the other head with that stuff but its probably for the better since the new head is a HUGE improvement. 

I'm glad people on here like it, I was honestly a bit nervous to share at first. Will update when I get the hands on.

Imascarylion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »

DentonUSA

• "Knew your father,I did!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 06:55:30 PM »
Noice! I also think what you did with the barrel was clever (the hot glue and such)

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »
Looking good, man!  Those hands look great!  I'm excited to see what you add next!

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 10:34:04 AM »
I literally just ordered a set of those hands for a Waverly.

Imascarylion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 10:09:20 PM »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 09:59:33 AM »
Woah, those look really close!  Good idea!

Servoweeble

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »
WOW, good work, man  8)

Imascarylion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 09:59:53 AM »
He has finally been completed. The rubber door stoppers came in the mail and I screwed them to the hoverskirt (it's a good thing I had two hoverskirts because I actually ruined the first one trying to glue it down) and now he is done. The head is detachable because I used magnets to keep it on the turntable and the control rod keeps it nice and secured on the body.

I am loving the way he came out. Almost a year of work finally paid off!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:16:10 PM by Imascarylion »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »
Wow!  Let me be the first to congratulate you on completing your project.  It's obvious how much time, effort, and love went into this guy, and the end result really is spectacular.  It still boggles my mind that no original parts (except the head) were used for this project. 

You should be proud of yourself, my friend.  Tim Servo ROCKS!  ;D