Author Topic: "Tim" Servo  (Read 158 times)

Imascarylion

• View Profile
"Tim" Servo
« on: June 06, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »
I am new to the site so excuse me if I don't do something right. I thought I'd share my low budget, highly inaccurate, no-original-parts-used Servo! I know he doesn't look amazing, but this bugger took me 10 months to build. I know I should have just bought replica parts but this was cheaper and honestly more fun!

Here's the story:

Last July I found a Carousel snack dispenser at a flea market. I gave it a Servo like paint job before deciding on making my very own Servo. However, I did not have enough money to buy any replica parts, so I made it from scratch. This project began in August of 2016.

I used a $3 pretzel container for the body and gave it texture using a hot glue gun. I did NOT, however, use Testors paint, oh no. I made the stupid decision to use Dupli-Color Red Metal Cast Anodized Color. It's automotive paint, so that meant double the effort of painting it silver first and then red but I do like the color. Unfortunately, the two paints I had reacted to each other and ruined my snack dispenser and in attempting to fix the paint, I destroyed it. But I had already painted the body and made the engine block out of a bottle and nerf dart magazine, so I salvaged the dome and bought a new snack dispenser. (The original one I had was the ribbed version from Season 1. The new one I bought was more in line with the version I liked anyways.) Since I didn't have another lid, I used PVC to extend the head.

So, after 10 months of work, I have nearly completed him. The shoulder housing are tupperware containers that I cut to the correct shape. All I need to add now are the hands and the trains on the hoverskirt. I thought i'd share my near complete homemade version. There are a few gripes I have, such as the body being big and also wishing I sucked it up and bought a replica engine block, but he's so inaccurate its not even worth worrying about accuracy.  He's my own design and was a fun yet time consuming build. Sometime down the line I might make an accurate replica, but for now I am content.

Because he was made without ANY original parts, I have started the habit of calling him "Tim" Servo.

I hope you enjoy!

DentonUSA

• "Knew your father,I did!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Tim" Servo
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
*Gives OK sign* "It stinks!"... Just Kidding!!

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:19:22 PM »
It looks great.  That engine is impressive.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »
Holy cow, man!!!!

That is amazingly impressive considering no original parts were used.  That engine block is incredible.  I love the red too, it looks good on him!

I also love the idea of using PVC instead of an extra snack dispenser cap to extend the head.  I wouldn't have known that's what you did if you hadn't told us!

PLEASE continue posting pictures as this protect progresses!  Absolutely fantastic job!  ;D

Imascarylion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
Thank you! The engine block was a bit of a puzzle (the one on there was the third version) but I like how it turned out!

And I REALLY like that paint. Its difficult to work with and you need to lay a base coat of silver, but if its done right it has a very nice color! Again, if it's done right. I ruined the other head with that stuff but its probably for the better since the new head is a HUGE improvement. 

I'm glad people on here like it, I was honestly a bit nervous to share at first. Will update when I get the hands on.

Imascarylion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »

DentonUSA

• "Knew your father,I did!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 06:55:30 PM »
Noice! I also think what you did with the barrel was clever (the hot glue and such)

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »
Looking good, man!  Those hands look great!  I'm excited to see what you add next!

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 10:34:04 AM »
I literally just ordered a set of those hands for a Waverly.

Imascarylion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 10:09:20 PM »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 09:59:33 AM »
Woah, those look really close!  Good idea!