Author Topic: Season 11 closeups...  (Read 1586 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Season 11 closeups...
« on: August 05, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »
What's that?  Looking for closeups of the new Season 11 bit and bobs for Crow?  Here you go!

(NOTE: You may need a fun, FREE, forum account to see the photos)

Braindump:

Bob said that for the arm and leg length, he tried to keep the "golden ratio" where everything is sort of based on human proportions.

I didn't have a ruler with me, but the lengths of the limbs should be easy to calculate if you know the size of the joints.

To create the hands, Bob said that he used standard hands as a base, and used a resin that once cured, will expand when exposed to a solvent (like naphtha).  He let the hands "scale" three times before molding and casting the final product.

The hips that are shown here are slightly different than the ones used in Season 11.  What is pictured here represents the original design Bob gave Joel.  I believe Bob said that puppeteer Russ Walko redesigned the hips to be less complicated.  When I went on the set tour, Crow's hips had been narrowed.  The two Wallace bases where used, but they'd been joined with some 1" PVC tees (I could likely draw this up if anyone were interested).

Crow's feet are just hands filled in and scaled up.

Kneecaps are the flaps removed from cutting a bowling pin.  There's a little hinge behind it to make it easier to move around when the knee flexes.

(Thanks Bob... you're the best!)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:07:47 PM by Ron »

Oldeworldsmith

• View Profile
Re: Season 11 closeups...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »
Thanks for all the pics & info Ron! Please do post an illustration of the PVC T Connector for the hips you saw on the set tour when you can.  ;D

A question about the shoulder joints- In photos of S11 Crow, the joints on the Wallace are now completely hidden by what looks like larger diameter ribbed tubing. It also looks like it's now positioned directly under the Wallace unit instead of having the old, off-to-the-side "L" shaped bracket joint (see attached pics). Which leads me to wonder if they didn't come up with a new type of joint that was more robust since his arms were now going be puppeteered and jerked around a lot more. Can you or anyone else confirm that? I realize that may not have been a modification Bob made, if one was made at all.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:34:01 PM by Oldeworldsmith »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 07:25:18 PM »
Absolutely fascinating.

Thank you SO much for sharing these pics!  Lots of info to pour over here.  You lucky dog, getting to see this work of art up close.  ;)

This is really making me want to get cracking on a second Crow...

DentonUSA

• "Knew your father,I did!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 08:32:41 PM »
I wonder if Bob will ever sell parts for a season 11 Crow (though, knowing Bob, he'd probably be kind enough to custom make the parts for ya)

Oldeworldsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
Another question- are the black cylindrical spacers between the joints hard plastic or rubber?

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »
I'll ask.

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »
Ron can you ask if bob he has a high resolution and full body photo of season 11 crow, as in with the legs. if not it's ok. although i would like to see close ups of new gypsy and. If not i understand.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:55:32 PM by Dr.cgad »
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 12:14:17 AM »
The new Gypsy is in storage somewhere waiting on a Season 12....

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 03:14:19 AM »
And what about full body crow.
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!