Author Topic: Gypsy's Theater Silhouette: HOW THEY DID IT!  (Read 1048 times)

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
Gypsy's Theater Silhouette: HOW THEY DID IT!
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:49:01 PM »
I recently received my long awaited MST3K: Season 11 Blu-ray box set in the mail, and spent an afternoon watching all of the exclusive content.  It was a treasure trove of information, and featured a lot of images from the production spread out over the documentary and two image galleries.

One of the images finally answered a question I'd been asking since I attended the Chicago Reptilicus screening: just how did they achieve the effect of Gypsy lowering into the theater?

The image below shows an operator holding a miniature Gypsy rig in front of a green screen.  The puppet, which is painted black as the other "silhouette" bots would be, appears to have a mouth operated by a trigger in the puppeteer's hand, which in all probability moves a wire in that central stick (also painted green) to control the jaw.

The little Gypsy head appears to be roughly the same size as the one on the little Gypsy that Shout! Factory included as a bonus figure in Volume XIX.  Wouldn't it be hysterical if it were a repurposed toy?  ;D

Either way, here's the image and a close up of little Gypsy to boot:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:50:35 PM by Danzilla93 »

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Gypsy's Theater Silhouette: HOW THEY DID IT!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »
The puppeteer there is Tim Blaney... who also puppeteered the full-size Gypsy for Season 11.  He's also well known for being the voice of Johnny 5 and Doug the Pug from MiB!

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:08:17 AM »
holy shit i love Johny 5.
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 08:56:47 AM »
Holy crud, I had no idea that was him!  He definitely had a tough job doing Gypsy in Season 11.  Imagine swinging that heavy full sized Gypsy around over the set, and then operating this tiny model to look like it has the same mass as the full sized one.  That's amazing talent!