Author Topic: Reptilicus Metalicus!  (Read 2660 times)

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
Reptilicus Metalicus!
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:01:36 PM »
ATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Sorry, couldn't resist.  ;D

Anyway, I recently received my long awaited MST3K: Season 11 Blu-ray box set in the mail, and spent an afternoon watching all of the exclusive content.  It was a treasure trove of information, and featured a lot of images from the production spread out over the documentary and two image galleries.

One of those images was a nice close up of everyone's favorite Jonah-eating, metal ceiling snake, the mysterious Reptilicus Metalicus.

The image reveals the prop to be a hand puppet, and one that appears to have its basis in found objects.  Whether or not these are 3D printed copies of original objects is unknown, but I can tell you right now - and I know a thing or two about a thing or two after so much Waverly research - that I know a sandcastle mold when I see it.  :P

That said, now that I know what Reptilicus Metalicus' nose is, the Bot Building Bug has bitten me again, and I now have to know what the rest of him is.  I'd love one of these guys hanging from MY ceiling, albeit on a smaller, less dangerous scale, of course.  ;)

Once again, my friends... THE HUNT IS AFOOT!

fastbilly1

• View Profile
Re: Reptilicus Metalicus!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »
Top of the head and the mouth are two different parts.

The top of the head looks like the handle from an antifreeze container.
Eyes are large red LEDs.
Tip of the Nose is a sand castle.
Base of the Nose looks like a large printer toner cover - likely 3d printed with the tip.
Neck looks like Corrugated Rubber Pipe aka a chemical hose.
Neck greeblies look like more wire wraps and tiedowns from the inside of a pc.
The base is a flower pot.
Jonah looks to be a 12inch Gi Joe.  Id wager a '64 GI Joe Action Pilot:

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 08:53:59 PM »
Good eye, as always, fastbilly!

Looking at the neck, I'm starting to suspect it's actually a series of flower pot rims built into a neck.  The edges match the flower pot at the end of the neck, so I'm starting to doubt it's drainage or dryer tubing.

If it is a series of connecting flower pot rims, I wonder how they connect and still allow movement?

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 09:51:28 AM »
If it is a bunch of rims, then they just have them on a sleeve.  You will have limited movement, but enough for what the puppet has done.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 01:41:34 PM »
Good point.  ;D

Man, this build is starting to feel more and more achievable.  I'm getting the itch to start building!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
Nicely done!

sd3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 07:31:28 AM »
Whoop!  Found the head/nose on my first google guess!

Link: https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/funnel/flotool-flex-funnel/52357_0_0

Nice and cheap.   :) :) :)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:45:58 AM by sd3 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »
O_O

DUDE!

NICELY DONE!!!!

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 08:34:17 PM »
Nice work Sd3. 

Ok Dan, where is your build log?

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »
My bad, the yellow action pilot is apparently super rare.  However the Yellow Jumpsuit is part of the 70s Action team Line:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970s-GI-JOE-Yellow-Jumpsuit-Hong-Kong-Adventure-Team-Smoke-Jumper/201959514779?hash=item2f05b9a29b:g:OrYAAOSw3YNXbImS

It is also likely that there is a modern 12 inch that has it.  I will admit I am not super versed on Gi Joes.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
I will admit I am not super versed on Gi Joes.

Me neither, but I have a feeling that, if we both try this build, we'll end up knowing more than we both probably ever wanted to know.  I still see Waverly sandcastle molds whenever I close my eyes...

Unfortunately, for budgetary reasons (I recently took sole position of my apartment, as well as all the bills...), I haven't started my own lovable Reptilicus Metalicus quite yet.  However, I have started pricing materials and measuring flower pot rims.  It won't be much longer before I start going after parts in earnest, though.  I'm excited to get started!

While I'm waiting for my next paycheck, I might get cracking on a few other props/bots I have parts for, like my Desk Console or my Demon Dogs.  I'll also be posting a few new screenshots of Reptilicus Metalicus here for reference when I get the chance!  I'm hoping it'll help get the remaining parts identified, so we can get cracking and unleash more giant robot snake hand puppets on the world!

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 02:51:29 PM »
I have decided that if Reptilicus Metalicus is a major part in Season 12 Ill be building one.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 08:06:53 PM »
^That's a good point.  Makes me wonder how much he'll feature in the next season.  Will Max still have control over him?  Did Kinga confiscate the key after he ruined her wedding?  I'm curious about just where Reptilicus Metalicus comes from.  What was he doing there?  What exactly was Moon 13 used for before Kinga took it over?  How long had he been hanging out up there in the ceiling?  What is his propose?

And just who is this Merrit Stone character?!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:21:59 PM by Danzilla93 »

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 03:16:53 AM »
Good news... I found a funnel nearly identical to the one used for Reptilicus Metallicus' head at work!

The bad news...

I work at fast food joint.

Eww.

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 09:03:41 PM »
what the hell is in that?
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!