Author Topic: Articulated M Waverly miniature  (Read 400 times)

Packratt

• View Profile
    • Email
Articulated M Waverly miniature
« on: January 24, 2018, 09:22:56 PM »
It's not quite a "bot", but more of a poseable action figure... I made two versions, the larger of which was commissioned. Thought some of you might think it's neat, even if not entirely accurate to the original.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Articulated M Waverly miniature
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 10:38:06 PM »
THIS

IS

AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Seriously, where do I even start?!?!  These are amazing!  I love the legs and how they match the arms.  I'm assuming these are 3D printed?  If so, what scale are the parts for the larger one in? 

I've been working on a full scale Waverly puppet for about a year now, and I ran into the problem of scaling with the actual parts.  So seeing pieces like the mouth and still mysterious belt buckle on your Waverlys (Waverli?) is super exciting!  I'd love to know how you did this!

Packratt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 12:00:14 AM »
Thanks!

Well, they're hardly exact replicas as I mentioned, but the designs are based on several images I was able to find, including some that were posted here. He's 3d printed in various colors of PLA plastic except for his shoulder joints that were printed in carbonX (reinforced carbon fiber nylon) because they were a particular weak point. the joints are joined by M3 (M2 for small) screws and injection molded nuts. It took about 3 weeks to design in Fusion 360, 24hrs to print, and about 8hrs to assemble not counting print post-processing and painting (mouth).

I made a promise not to make any more of the large ones (~10") since the person who commissioned it wants it to be unique, but I might make STLs of the small version (~6") available after I make some design changes to make it less fragile. I might try to design a more accurate full scale Waverly later this year after I finish some other projects.

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 08:28:33 AM »
Awesome work.  I love the leg concept and the proper nondescript feet.  Could you scale it down to an even smaller size?  To fit in with the season figures.

Also can I see a full shot of that Big Trouble Poster?  Ive not seen that one.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:23:51 AM by fastbilly1 »

Packratt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 01:57:38 PM »
Awesome work.  I love the leg concept and the proper nondescript feet.  Could you scale it down to an even smaller size?  To fit in with the season figures.

Also can I see a full shot of that Big Trouble Poster?  Ive not seen that one.

The 6" version is as far down as I'll take it while retaining articulation. If I were to make a version that scaled to the Pop figures or smaller, I'd probably only keep one or two points of movement, likely the mouth and head, then make the rest just rigid prints without joints... but the season figures and Pops don't move either, so it wouldn't be a loss.

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
i dont see it
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Packratt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 02:22:45 PM »
i dont see it

Sorry, I didn't know folks had trouble seeing embedded images. I'll just attach them from now on.  ;)

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 04:50:03 PM »
i love it.
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 11:27:57 PM »
It would be cool to see one in scale with the Pops or the Shout! Factory figurines.  Hell, depending on material cost and time, you could probably sell little 3" or 4" statue versions!  I'm sure lots of people would buy one!

This really is an awesome project.  Can't wait to see what you do next!

Packratt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 12:41:39 AM »
It would be cool to see one in scale with the Pops or the Shout! Factory figurines.  Hell, depending on material cost and time, you could probably sell little 3" or 4" statue versions!  I'm sure lots of people would buy one!

This really is an awesome project.  Can't wait to see what you do next!

I'm thinking about doing one on that scale, but it wouldn't be articulated or very limited articulation, (perhaps head swivel and mouth movement). The 6" is already a bit fragile at that scale so I wouldn't want to push it.

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 04:32:19 PM »
If he matches the other bots, there would be no reason to be articulated.  I heard about what happened to you on social media about this, sorry that it happened.  We may be a small community here, but we are atleast not jerks...

Packratt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 12:40:43 AM »
If he matches the other bots, there would be no reason to be articulated.  I heard about what happened to you on social media about this, sorry that it happened.  We may be a small community here, but we are atleast not jerks...

Nah, it's ok. I tried to contact the folks at Shout to see if they were ok with me printing them for folks and I got no answer, but a fan out there still took exception with me offering to do it at cost so I withdrew the offer. I'll just post the files for printing them up somewhere later once I perfect the design and I'll be done with it. He's actually a time consuming build, so it's probably for the best that I'm not building a bunch of them for folks.  ;D

Anyway, yeah, seems like a nice bunch of folks here, so I wonder if I should post a build log for my automated bots and other stuff I'm doing so you folks could give me suggestions as I go? I don't want to be too noisy.

Danzilla93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 09:24:52 AM »
Anyway, yeah, seems like a nice bunch of folks here, so I wonder if I should post a build log for my automated bots and other stuff I'm doing so you folks could give me suggestions as I go? I don't want to be too noisy.

Dude, that'd be awesome!  Nothing noisy about sharing your projects with people who are interested in seeing what you're creating!  And those automated bots are rad as heck.  The folks here would LOVE to see more of that stuff.  I know I would! 

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 06:48:04 PM »
Do it man!  I am very interested.