Author Topic: How did they make Tom's arms stay at a static angle for Season 11?  (Read 861 times)

Sgt Nate V

• View Profile
    • Email
With Tom's working arms in Season 11, they are longer and always keep that static bend. If you look in here, you can see that Tom has his longer arms, but they are not at a bend like in Season 11. I presume that there is some sort of PVC pipe or something to keep that bend and the pipe is attached to one of the RC motors to move them.

Aaron N.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How did they make Tom's arms stay at a static angle for Season 11?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 10:54:08 PM »
I’d like to know how they achieved the bend, too...

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 09:23:57 PM »
According to folks at PuppetGarage (who did the modifications to Bob's original builds), it's just a heated and formed PVC pipe.

Sgt Nate V

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 05:32:38 PM »
According to folks at PuppetGarage (who did the modifications to Bob's original builds), it's just a heated and formed PVC pipe.
Someone on r/MST3K who was a puppeteer for S11 said they used a mech that you could push up and down and that there were bendable wires inside his springs.

Oldeworldsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »
I was told too it was a thick-gauge armature wire hidden inside the springs. Like these:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/sculpture-house-armature-wire/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=33406-0116&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIze7vq7f13gIVA7nACh0STwa4EAQYBCABEgLObPD_BwE

And Lord, I wish I could find where I saved the pic... But I know I did save one taken from under the SOL table where you can see the rods dangling out of Servo's Christmas-end. They are the same gauge as the control rods used for Crow's arms but instead of terminating with wooden dowels for handles, the rods are bent into circles (like rings) at their base. The tops presumably attach to a rotating shaft inside the barrel for each shoulder joint. The MOMENT I find that pic I will post it.

Oldeworldsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:10:21 PM »
I found the photo!!! It’s from Grant Baciocco’s Instagram- @throwingtoasters
I very much remembered wrong what context it was in, but there they are. Dangling from under Servo’s skirt; the two rod pulls for his arms:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:18:58 PM by Oldeworldsmith »