Author Topic: Once more...  (Read 943 times)

Gamer1st

• View Profile
Once more...
« on: September 05, 2018, 04:45:11 PM »
Just finished my 2nd Crow build and 3rd Servo. I’d built them before back around 2000 with parts from Joe C but ended up selling them eventually. I had done a Gypsy as well, but she got lost in a move, (or thrown out by “helpers”) sadly.
I got the building bug again a couple months ago after buying the T and C Funko figures, but decided I could do better, so I bought the kits off Ebay and made a few modifications to get the listed controls I wanted.
The Funko figures make a pretty good scale angel and devil battling conscience figures for Crow.

Dr.cgad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Once more...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 09:54:41 AM »
So you're saying you modified the pop vynls?
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Gamer1st

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »
No, I decided I could do better than the little Funko figures and just build the real deal again, (sorry about lack of clarity on that). I may repaint the red on the Mini-me Servo though. They got Crows color pretty good but S looks more pink than red to me.
I did do some modifications to the controls suggested in kits for the full sized ones. The original didn’t allow for separate control of the head and body on either C or S so I added an extra layer of piping, (with more length for better grip) to allow the body, head, and eyes to all be controlled separately on Crow, and separate head and body control on Servo.
The original control ran the piping through both bodies with no connection to them. This allowed the heads to turn, but the bodies were able to spin somewhat randomly. I assume the controller would normally let the body just spin or have to hold the body with a hand on a lower edge? The first time I wondered about this was in the Jack Frost Ep where C is talking to Yakov Smirnoff, (spelling wrong I’m sure) and Mike looks like he has to knock Crows head to the side to turn it as they’re walking off stage. (I may be miss-remembering the whole thing.)  Anyway, I added a third layer of pipe to Crow attached to the body, and a second to Servo so their bodies can be controlled from the underside without touching their paint or other visible surfaces.
I also used a larger 40mm ping pong ball for Crows eyes instead of the 38mm ones included in the kit. I like the look of the larger eyes better. This change was necessary due to my Great Dane thinking one was a toy and eating it. I may also do a contact lensish insert for the eyes as well that allows for different eye changes. The caffeine OD eyes Crow has with bloodshot eyes and bigger pupils is hilarious to me.
I’m also not a fan of the elastic used for the mouth hinge. Something that doesn’t need to have a bunch of hot glue squirted on it to kill the flop seemed better so I used the fuzzy side of a piece of industrial strength Velcro instead. It’s much stronger, stiffer, and has a crazy stout adhesive on it from the factory suitable for outdoor use. Plus the strip itself is strong, and flexible enough to last practically forever.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:51:15 PM by Gamer1st »

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 08:33:37 PM »
Where did you get the jumbo lava lamp? 

The dragonballs are pretty awesome too.

Gamer1st

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 02:47:09 PM »
I believe it came from Walmart.

It was a gift, and it’s been over 15 years ago so it’s pretty unlikely you’d be able to get one there now.

The DragonBalls you can get on eBay or Amazon but not as a set. They’re a buy them singlely deal.

Gamer1st

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »
You can get the giant LL on Amazon if you’re still I interested.

They’re not super expensive, around the $75 range...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MWSW2I/ref=twister_B017LOCSD4?_encoding=UTF8&th=1