Author Topic: Netflix Crow sucks  (Read 782 times)

Robert K S

• View Profile
    • Email
Netflix Crow sucks
« on: December 06, 2018, 11:32:29 PM »
There, I said it.  Fight me.

I'm not referring to Hampton Yount.  He's fine.

I don't even mean the double-bulky arms.  "I'm different!"

I mean the new mouth actuation mechanism.  It has much lower responsiveness/bandwidth than the direct pull-string of old Crow.  Any multi-syllable word results in Crow's mouth mostly just staying open for the entirety of the word.  Sometimes Crow's mouth never closes for the entirety of a sentence.  It really lowers the verisimilitude of Crow as a puppet character.  If you try to read his lips, he only ever says "AH-AH-AH-AH-AH" now.  Once you notice this, it's impossible to get over.  MST3K is ruined forever.  Well, at least any of the bits where Crow is talking.

Point is, if you're going to build Crow, don't waste your time trying to build him with the new mouth actuator.  Do him justice and put in the old pull-string.

Oldeworldsmith

• View Profile
Re: Netflix Crow sucks
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »
I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees with that! The servo-actuated mouth is pretty darn bleh for every reason you listed and more. I can't think of any practical reason to mimic it for a fan-built bot either.

I do wonder if any of the Kickstarter funders who got screen-used Crow puppets as part of their rewards received the models with the mechanisms in the mouth. If so, I would love to get a look at them just to satisfy my academic curiosity... But certainly not for replicating.

Given how it seems that's all you hate about Netflix Crow, how do you then feel about "Tour Crow?" Seeing how he features what I think is the coolest & slickest string-based puppet jaw mechanism to date:

squidsicle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 03:31:54 PM »
agreed. I saw Trace Friday night.  I WANTED to say "it takes three people to create a tenth of the performance you gave"
What I ACTUALLY said was nothing.

Robert K S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »
I will say that to him if I ever see him again.  Last time he came to Cleveland I wore my neon green lab coat.  He liked it and spent a while talking to me.  This was after the revival was announced but before the shows were made.  He lamented that it "wasn't the same show" and that he had already made up his mind that he wouldn't be having anything to do with it.

Robert K S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 01:45:48 PM »
how do you then feel about "Tour Crow?" Seeing how he features what I think is the coolest & slickest string-based puppet jaw mechanism to date:

It looks kind of like a trigger mechanism to do the mouth actuation?  Has anyone identified the part (or is it like a custom 3-D printed thing)?  How exactly does it work?  Who is the puppeteer in the photograph?

Oldeworldsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 03:35:14 PM »
I was told the trigger grip is a custom part. Which is okay since I think it looks like it would be fairly easy to replicate with a 3D printer like you mentioned. It's simply bolted to the control rod. The mouth string is fished out of that into a thinner, yellow tube which then feeds into the top of the trigger handle. The string then is tied to the jointed trigger- ultimately allowing the mouth to be worked in much the same way as those original novelty fanny-pincher hands worked.

The puppeteer is Grant Baciocco. https://mst3k.fandom.com/wiki/Grant_Baciocco

He's puppeteered Crow since the 2014 Turkey Day revival and continues to do so on the show to this day. He stepped in and performed Crow for the 30th Ann. Live Tour in place of Hampton. Which is completely appropriate as he's an accomplished performer as well (and a darn nice guy to boot). He's also the performer behind M. Waverly.