Author Topic: Quarantine Riff Along 5/3/2020  (Read 131 times)

fastbilly1

• View Profile
Quarantine Riff Along 5/3/2020
« on: May 03, 2020, 08:05:14 AM »
Odds are everyone will miss this, but due to the Covid19 Quarantine the live shows are on hiatus.  So this Sunday AD, the live team will be riffing on a season 1 episode Moon Zero Two today at 1800 CST.  It will be on all their video feeds.

https://news.avclub.com/exclusive-mystery-science-theater-3000-returns-for-soc-1843156549

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Quarantine Riff Along 5/3/2020
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 11:15:51 AM »
Iíll be there!

Robert K S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 07:18:16 PM »
I watched it and I gather the following:

Jonah is out (and has been since before the last live tour?).  Emily is his replacement.

Gypsy is out, by that name and body.  She has a new, smaller puppet and now goes by the name GPC (performed by Yvonne Freese).

Baron Vaughn is out as the voice of Tom Servo, replaced by Conor McGiffin.

Hampton Yount is out as the voice of Crow, replaced by Nate Begle.

Maybe none of this is news for anyone who went to the Circus live show.  But it was all a little unsettling for me.  Almost nothing remains of what we watched on Netflix.

As for the dynamic between the cast, it was difficult to gauge.  There was very little new material in the riff-on-top-of-the-riff.  Maybe 1-2 new riffs per minute on average.  I didn't notice any new riffs that were funnier than the original material they were riffing on.  Half of the new lines were commentary on the old lines, not new jokes.  E.g., there was a Donald Trump joke in the original riffing and Emily noted that the joke held up over time ("and space!"--GPC), etc.

Robert K S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 07:58:21 PM »
Jonah showed up at the after-show--considerably thinner and with a mustache--to perform a solo acoustic version of "Every Country Has A Monster".

fastbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 05:45:08 PM »
Ive not paid attention to the carnival, not coming to my area does that.  But since the show is currently canceled its not surprising that the cast moved on to other projects and we have a new team.  Anyone who has not traveled daily for work for over two weeks does not understand how awful it gets quickly.  And since Jonah and Tim (the previous travel Servo, Bonehead on the show, and husband to the actress that plays Synthia) likely would not fit on a travel bus's bed without bent knees, I do not belittle them at all for not wanting to do a travel show after doing it a couple times. 

The Gypsy change makes alot of sense, since the original is a huge pain and I believe they were using one of Bobs personals.  The behind the scenes on youtube that I watched afterwards proves that that was the point.  I like the redesign and will probably make one to replace my knock off fullsize one since it will be very easy to store. 

I will hold judgement for the new crew if they stay on as the new cast.  The riffing an existing episode was a neat experiment, but they showed they can hold their own with the new content. 

Now if only we can get the Argoman and Eegah live shows released...

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 07:19:37 PM »
I really enjoyed the show... and the after show as well.

I was very lucky, and got an "honorable mention" riff into the show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B3iqLQozuA