Author Topic: Servo controlled eyes  (Read 3147 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Servo controlled eyes
« on: April 01, 2011, 10:51:39 AM »
For a long time, I've thought about the best way to create a servo controlled eye mechanism for Crow.  This was all just day dreaming till a talented friend of mine who has a love of electronics put together a prototype.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsKaEE76QSc[/youtube]

A few questions you might be have:

1) Wow that's some jerky eye movement!

The stepping might seem a bit rough, but that's easy fixed I'm told via some software settings.  Also, you can set parameters where the eyes will have a "maximum travel" so they don't get wedges or scuffed by moving further than they should. 

2) Those servos are HUGE, they'll never fit!

The servos are large, I agree.  The smaller of the two is a 5 gram servo... they make them all the way down to 1.5 gram (that I've seen).  So getting the control rig down to size shouldn't be a huge issue.

3) Why is the control board so large?

Because it's a prototype ;)  Everything on that board is modular, so breaking it up for discretely hiding it in the body will be easy to accomplish.

4) What sort of controller is powering this?

http://www.arduino.cc/

5) What are those buttons over by the control stick?

One of the buttons switches between auto-center and non-auto-centering mode, the other is a rest for non-auto-centering mode that forces the servos to return to center.

Animes Frank

• View Profile
    • My YouTube site
    • Email
Re: Servo controlled eyes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:06:38 AM »
When I saw the title of this topic, I briefly thought "But Servo doesn't even have eyes!" :-[
"There's gotta be a point where he stops ripping apart his clothing and finding stuff!"

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Servo controlled eyes
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »
Heh....

It's been harder to make work then I originally thought.  I ended up losing a sale (and a friend) over it :(