Author Topic: Cambot  (Read 27820 times)

jbl

• MSN Messenger - jbleavitt01@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • JackDaMan Productions
    • Email
Re: Cambot
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2015, 10:10:16 PM »
just finished removing the paint on the dome and adding more paint right now (if this still dosent work out i got a plastic globe cover at home depot and will use that)
Jack.L

jbl

• View Profile
    • JackDaMan Productions
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2015, 04:36:05 AM »
FINALLY AFTER 1 AND A HALF YEARS ITS COMPLETE (ive gotta another one that will be done by tomorrow)

Jack.L

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2015, 11:02:45 AM »
VERY VERY NICE! I wish I had one. ;)
"Watch out for snakes!"

jbl

• View Profile
    • JackDaMan Productions
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »
I made this out of the parts on the Working Cambot page on this website (minus the red LED lights and camera inside)

Jack.L

DaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »
This is what I have so far. No stand with hose or electrical wires connected, just the body.
Very cool....which is why I feel bad for asking this, but is the baby me so glad dolls the wrong size, or was it an optical illusion due to the mirror in the opening?

Going over the multiple pics and rewatching the s2 theme, the doll "looks" like its reaches down 2/3 of atat body, while extending partly over the body upwards,making it look like itll be as tall as the atat body , while being more or less as wide.

EDIT:
I ask not to nitpick ( I hope I didnt come off that way) but out of curiosity, because if it was an optical illusion and the Baby Me So Glad are the right size, I got one I'll totally use right now for my atat body.

EDIT: 5/15/15

(Huh, look at that number, that won't happen again for a LONG while)

Didn't know if double posting was bad, so I edited this because I got new info I think.

Notice how Cambot S2's head goes up and swerves abit to the side when looking into the mirror (never mind the logistics of that)?

An AT-AT toy with its head & neck still attached works exactly like that would when the body is upside down (as it is in Cambot) thanks to gravity. I've got the toy to prove it.

After diassembling the head & gutting the electronics guts (heh) I can safely say that unless you engineer a new mechanism to attach it to the neck and the handle that's inside the body & goes up through the neck to maneuvar the head, you basically need at least to keep the back half of the head but almost ALL of its width & most of its height, putting the size of the piece at roughly:

Height: 2 7/8"

Width & Length: 4 1/4" & 2"......I think, always get length & width confused, but the doll cavity would need to be about 2" thick & empty to fit the parts of the AT-AT head into it so it can move the same way as Cambot's head when the body of the at-at if flipped.

....days like this I should really learn how to use imageshack :p

Basically, aside from improvising, the doll torso needs to be as wide as the back of the at-at head, so as to allow the front part of the head to be cut off, and the back half and all the neck attachments crammed into the doll torso, with some of the at-at's head height trimmed down if need be.

.....and of course if one doesn't care about at Cambot that can move his head the exact same way, then a stationary head or one with limited movement is okay & cheaper, since it not like Cambot S2 actually DOES anything aside from his head up & to the side :p

-and cheaper, since its FAR easier to find an at-at body with NO head & neck &legs vs. one with the head & neck but no legs at a cheap price, since at-at's in better conditions are more expensive. So there you go.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:07:12 PM by DaZero »

OneWallCinema

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2015, 05:33:15 PM »

My kids (ages 9 & 6) summer project was building a working CamBot.
Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/v/mVEeVXMlyNw

If we can ever track down the Gypsy carseat (or if those replica parts ever become a reality) we certainly will be building one of her!

superandroidtron

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2016, 01:04:50 AM »
Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I figured I should mention that I watched an interview with Joel a few days ago (https://youtu.be/PHPgWAnu_Gw?t=12m12s) and he mentions that he used an AT-AT, confirming what bryguytoofly used as correct. We also get very clear looped footage of Cambot from the Season 2 intro. Strangely, he states that this is the "original Cambot."

Like a few other people in this thread, I'm interested in figuring out what KTMA Cambot is made of. Here's a color version of the pic from the first page, taken from J. Elvis Weinstein's twitter: https://twitter.com/jelvisweinstein/status/505086042848776192:

I think that it confirms that the eyes are the bowling pins used for Servo's shoulders and Crow's mouth. As for the rest of him, I'm far from 100% sure, but I just don't think that the head is a doll seat. The angle looks wrong for it to be a seat of any kind, but again, I'm just guessing.
Given the scale of those pins, KTMA Cambot must be pretty darned big. Maybe it's just the lighting, but it almost looks like his body is 2 separate objects, one front piece that we see in the intro, and another, much larger back piece that actually attaches to his head. Perhaps part of a large toy car that a child could sit in? I've never quite seen a sled that looked like that, but it could be one. The strange part that puffs out right below the head could be a socket for the sled runners and we're actually looking at the underside of the body of the sled. It's a shame we can't see the lower part of the body, if only Joel had moved over a foot or so... Maybe someone should just ask Joel on Twitter or in person at some point.

I do wonder if they planned to use Cambot more than they actually did during that season. It's a pretty large and elaborate puppet to only use for a < 5 second shot in the intro, but then again, he also lacks the articulated mouth that all of the other puppets have. What a mystery...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:02:58 PM by superandroidtron »

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2016, 04:48:17 PM »
KTMA bot part has probably been identified. More information will be available next week, stay tuned.

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »
And now the moment you've been waiting at the edge of your seat for.....

KTMA Cambot's head piece is...

This thing

It's a 1980's Little Miss Rainbow Doll Carrier by Gay Toys

This sucker is RARE. I've been searching for doll carriers on ebay for 3 years and this is the first time I've seen it. There is a high chair and carriage variation of this which are far more common.

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2016, 05:13:44 PM »
Carrier dimensions are approximately 17" x 9"

the kickstand part is approximately 12" x 9"

It's much smaller than I imagined but it's still very cool.

I have no doubt that the cowl is made of a sliced traffic cone, as is the... goatee/beard thing hanging off of it

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2016, 05:18:50 PM »
I still have no clue what the body is, I'm making that the focus of my search now. I'm also trying to find the camera, it looks like a sony betacam of some sort.

Bot building is alive and well folks, we can and will find these parts!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2016, 08:49:23 AM »
Nice find!

bryguytoofly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2016, 04:40:16 PM »
Thanks, Ron! I think I'm going to start building it next month

1984gojifan

• If You're like me and I know I am
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2016, 05:21:35 PM »
WOW!
"Watch out for snakes!"

superandroidtron

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 11:13:32 AM »
Holy crap, nice find! How did you figure out what it was?